Sick doe, help please!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

One of my does that kidded Dec. 2nd was acting a bit off on saturday. I checked her temp it was 106 (although it was a very hot day still too high) I gave her a bit of banamine to bring down temp and nuflor. She seemed to perk up a bit, and seemed to feel better the next day. All the while she has been eating still, but not with as much zest. No snotty nose, no cough...she has been dried off so not producing milk right now. yesterday she was acting like she didn't feel well again, so gave her the second dose of nuflor and also dewormed with cydectin , gave nutridrench and probios. Today she is acting like she doesn't have very good balance or coordination. Temp is 104.4 this am. Stool is normal pellets. She stands kind of hunched over, still trying to nibble at stuff but acting really out of it. She started shaking a bit, like tremors. I plan to call the vet when they open shortly, but every time I have had a problem they have been no help at all. This is one of my favorite does and don't want to lose her, but can't figure out whats going on with her....Help!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well she has an infection of some sort so continue the meds one dose of anything is not enough to cure and infection just prolongs it or builds resistance to the med.
    Give her Fortified B Complex and probios all the time your giving antibiotics and I would also give her B1 thiamin

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have been reading and the muscle tremors are one of the signs of cydectin overdose...although she wasn't acting right before then and I used the 1cc/25lbs dosage I always have used... yes, i have been giving her B-complex and probios...she had nuflor saturday and again yesterday..i gave her the dosage that said repeat in 4 days, so should I just wait and see now and keep up with the vit B and probios?

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

she is munching away on hay right now, so that makes me feel a bit better anyways...

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Nuflor is an antibiotic I use and I always give it at least every other day. My vet says it's OK to give every day for 5-7 days in the case of a bad infection. I give it at 3cc/100 lb. Though the bottle says you can double the dose and give a single injection, these are the instructions for cattle. Goats have a faster metabolism. Any time I have a goat that seems off balance, I give thiamin (B1). If a goat is going into polio, there is not enough thiamin in most B complex from the feed stores to combat it. I also give probios along with an antibiotic. This may be just me, but I don't worm a goat at the same time I'm treating it for an infection. Those drugs (wormers, Nuflor and Banamine) are hard on the rumen, so I don't like to do too much stuff at once. An ill doe is already compromised and I don't want to risk them stopping eating. Did you dry the doe up so soon after kidding due to health problems? I hope your doe will pull through this. You need to keep up with the course of Nuflor unless your vet switches her meds.

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

waiting on a call back from the vet...i have vit B1 tablets (human form) 100mg/tablet. Can these be crushed up or dissolved and given orally? She got the banamine Saturday, haven't given her any since then...she is still eating some...i gave her the stronger dose of nuflor (my vet always recommends doing that...of course i know they are not always right). I dried her off because i bottle fed her kids and I was going out of town and didn't have anyone to milk, she is a ND, I usually milk a few and dry some off depending on what is needed. She wasn't ill. I probably shouldn't have dewormed her (kicking self) but she didn't have a fever at that point but still acted a bit off and she hadn't been wormed in a couple of months (since post kidding). Didn't have time to get a fecal done right away (still kicking self).

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the amount of cydectin you used would not be the cause of this I really don't think and yes she should have been wormed. IMO This is something else with that fever.

8. Katarina

Katarina New Member

fever=infection

infection=needs antibiotics

antibiotics=a full dose, not every so often, once a day, once a week stuff, but most likely at least q24hrs. check the 101 section for dose directions

what breed is she? if she is lamancha, check her ears for pus/discharge, ear infections can make that high temp...

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I agree with Katie give her a much better exam. Trim her feet, any problems there? Really check her udder, is it soft and loose and pliable? What do her gums and eyelids look like. Pale? Red? Dishcharge from kidding still?

Then....the amount of cydectin you would have had to give her to cuase problems is huge. All the pour it on and give them neurological prolbems to kill them, is bunk, unsubstantiated bunk and if you lost 10 or 20 goats from doing this would you send one to necropsy?

Antibiotics are given as a course. You give them once or twice a day for set amount of time. There is no blood level of any drug left in a goats quick metabolisim after 24 hours let alone 36 or 48. When you use antibiotics it should be with a course of action, not just I am going to give this to her for one shot and see how she feels. Banamine also, unless given to ease pain, should be continued every 12 hours at half dose or every 24 hours at full dose. If used to bring fever down with antibiotics, than keep using it, so her fever stays down, at least 3 days if not 6. B vitamins, probiotics and shot of Bo-se if you are using it, should be routine in ill goats. Keeping them hydrated also, goats not drinking simply can't get enough fluids being syringed by mouth, get a lactated ringers setup and hydrate them subq.

Although we can guess for you, and Nuflor is pretty broad spectrum so with banamine it will take care of most bacterial problems...but the ongoing nursing is up to you, as is giving her a thorough once over. A very ill buck at my house, who I finally called the vet to help me with a thorough exam, was found to have mastitis!

Keep up the nursing, and yes B1 orally will help until you get Fortefied B complex or pick up some thiamin at the vets. Vicki

Vicki

10. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Still haven't heard back from the vet, will call again shortly. Did give her more banamine as her fever was climbing again (having weather in the mid 80's isn't helping, everyone looks miserable). I was afraid to give her too much banamine from what I have read, but will keep it up for another day or two then. Temp is now down to 102.8 right now. I will continue the nuflor and B-complex. Hasn't had discharge for a while. She is drinking and munching on and off on hay and leaves, then stands with head hanging for a while. Doesn't seem as wobbly as she was this morning. I checked her out really well on saturday, will give her another thorough exam now. When I checked her gums and eyelids this a.m. she was a medium pink. Only thing I noticed on her udder was a few small scabs, but we have had major fire ant issues lately. They were old and peeled right off, nothing raw, udder was not hard or hot. Well, off to check her again...thanks for every ones advice..

11. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Took her to the vet, just got back. Looks like it is listeriosis :sniffle When I got to the vet office with her she started going in circles. Switched her to LA200 and said keep her hydrated...he said she didn't need thiamin, and he didn't give me any for "future need" as I asked. He wasn't too hopeful, anyone had any success treating this? I am not sure how she got it, as i am very anal about inspecting feed and hay for mold (i have always had horses and they colic over everything). No sudden change in feed or anything. Everyone else has been on the same pasture/feed/hay as she and they are all acting fine. :sigh

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

You need to get with Vicki fast.....vets don't do good with lister. in goats, no offense.

I wondered if that was what you were dealing with, but was really waiting to see what the experts had to say........have never seen but one goat with lister, and the vet was no good with it, and it died.

Best wishes, Whim....

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

14. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Yes. We had a wether go down with Listeriosis about two or three months ago. Pulled him through and he went through the Sale Barn this past Saturday in great flesh.

I'll see if I can track down my post.
    Unfortunately, we kinda threw the cabinet at him and it was never diagnosed by a vet but he responded to regular heavy doses of Penn G and we kept him hydrated with lactated Ringers solution. We did the Penn G over the weekend and after going into the vet's office to get some more lactated Ringer's solution and speaking with the large animal vet we switched to using the LA200. He had already responded to the Penn G treatment at that point and was coming around.

15. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Thank you, I checked them out... I also spoke with Vicki and i am trying to get a hold of some Dex now...vet wouldn't prescribe me B1, so trying to figure out how much B-complex to get it in her, or other alternative. She is only 42lbs...

16. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

woo hoo! After a 70 mile (round trip) road trip I rounded up some Dex...hopefully it helps...

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

GOOD FOR YOU!!!