Sick Doe Baby, could use suggestions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MRFBarbara, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have a doe kid about one month old, went to a show about two weeks ago and brought home a pneumonia bug that spread thru my herd like wildfire..Went to vets got Nuflor and treated all that were sick.. and have most cured. Last but not least my last kids born got the darn bug.. Buck baby fine with two shots of Nuflor and supportive therapy.. Not so with Doe kid.. She has had two shots of Nuflor and 1/10th cc of banamine with each shot of Nuflor, she does not seem to be improving.. She is very raspy and heavy breathing.. hunched up back
    Should I start her on some vitamin B, or antitoxin so something else does not set in on her with her weak immune system right now.. She has been wormed, treated for cocci preventive
    She has been given probios, does this do any good in a kid so young. She is eating and drinking, but not as much as I would like her too. Nibbles on grass hay, takes minerals and baking soda..
    She is not running a fever, but seems a little dehydrated from not drinking as much.. I have electroyles she will take in a bottle.. Should I take her off milk and give her just electroyles.. I do not want to lose her, she is fighting this
    Barbara

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would up her banamine if she was here as it will make her feel a little better and soothe her tummy...if the Nuflor isnt helping I would use BioMycin.

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Personally I would stick with the Nuflor, up the banamine a bit, use Nutri-drench and keep up with the electrolytes...are you using anything like Vick's vapor rub under her nose? Or, benydryl? I would also not feed grain but lots of fresh green leaves.

Good luck and my prayers are with you and your kid,
    Paula

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes do get an antihistimine from the vet or use benedryl, childrens liquid works great for kids.

Did you culture the nose of any of the goat to see if this was pasteurella? You might want to think about using the Bova Antiserum on her for haemoticula and multicidia. The results you got with nuflour was really good, but what is happening to your kid is typical, some simply don't respond, especially when dealing with infants the very old and those who have had it awhile.

And in hind site, it is also why I don't take kids to shows they go there to pick up bugs.

In a perfect world, you want your show string quaranteened from the herd, obviously that isn't going to work for most of us. But with infant kids whose immunity isn't sealed, pasturella pnemonia (which they haven't been vaccinated for either this young) is a real problem. Most of us keep kids in kennels, or at least travel with them in it, this is the perfect enviornment for pnemonia, in fact you couldn't find a better one...it's one of the reason for the heat index when flying kids and why when you do put kids in kennels you should for short trips just use towels so they can be changed every couple of hours so there is no moisture in the kennel.

I have never given the antiserum to a kid this young. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sub Q fluids, Banamine (for the pain in the lungs and inflamation). How are you giving the Nuflor? Every 48hrs.? And I'd be switching to Naxcel or even a stronger drug. PM me if you want the stronger drug.
    I, totally, agree on the antihistamine. I've used Equine-histamnes with much sucess.
    Kaye

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I wouldn't take her off milk, she needs the nutrients. It wouldn't hurt to supplement with electrolytes, but make sure you separate milk and electrolytes by at least an hour.

7. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

She only weighs about five pounds which is why she is getting one tenth of a cc banamine, she is a Nigerian baby
    I am going to SQ fluids today and antihistmine her, I have some childrens here..
    Kaye, yes I am giving her the Nuflor every 48 hours, she is due for a shot today.. this will be her third.. dose.. So Naxel is stronger, how many doses would she need of that, can go to vets and get it this morning.. Got a great vet and I can get things from him 24/7

Vicki, I did not take any kids to the shows, but one of my does came down with it and it spread thru my herd, I should have quaranteened them.. I have the room to do it and did not.. This will teach me to be stupid.. Every doe out there responded so good to the Nuflor except this tiny baby.. She was tiny when born, but healthy. Darn..
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help
    Barbara

8. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

When using Nuflor we always give it every 24 hours, not the 48 that the vet says. Had a young Boer doe get pneumonnia from our Dairy girls going to Nationals in 2005 - the does who went didn't get sick, but several 4-5 month old kids who stayed home did get sick.

The Saanen recovered using Excenel/Naxcel. Didn't work on the Boer doe. Vet gave me Nuflor, but only enough for 3 shots 48 hours apart. She would get better, and then at about 36 hours slump again. Talked to experienced breeder and she said go every 24 hours. Once we did that she got better and never looked back.

Oh, and we used both the Excenel/Naxcel and Nuflor in conjunction with banamine and supportive care. A shot of Bo-Se is also a good thing to give to boost the immune system. And definitely stick with the milk for her tummy and SubQ fluids until she is doing much better.

Camille

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

She is doing much much better today, playing and running, no more runny nose.. Thanks all
    Barbara

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

So glad to hear!! Keep us posted.

Paula

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm glad she's doing better. My vet has had me give Nuflor every 24 hours for up to a week with stubborn pneumonia. Kathie

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Glad to hear shes doing better!!

13. Belle

Belle New Member

Glad she is feeling better!

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Glad to hear that Barbara.
    In the future give the Nuflor every 24hrs. instead of 48. She would have rallied faster with Nuflor kept in her system with the closer injections.

After reading your post that she was getting it every 48, then she didn't need to be switched to Naxcel...just took longer for the Nuflor to work with it getting so low in the blood serum before the next shot.
    Kaye

15. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I did switch to every 24 hrs after posting on here and getting advice and she responded so much better.. Also did a couple of my other older kids too.. this bug spread thru my herd and has been terrible.. She is doing good today and up playing like a normal goat now.. Of course she hated all the shots and she runs when she sees me headed her way..
    Thanks.. the support with banamine, fluids sq, and anithistimine seems to really help also..
    Barbara

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Barb do you vaccinate for pasteurella? Least wise any older does who came down with this and rallied fastest, use thier colostrum to innoculate the kid groups next year. Vicki

17. goatnewbie

goatnewbie New Member

Barb, I didn't realize your baby doe was so sick when we were at your place, really glad to hear she is doing better, she is such a cutey.
    Denise Long
    Longview Farm

18. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Doe baby all better, no longer raspy, plays, eats and poos normal now.. Just about all the coughs are gone in the herd now.. still giving supportive therapy with probios to all goats.. every couple of days.. everyone chewing cud except young doe baby..
    Hi Denise, see you finally made it here.. this place is great for friends, info and help with your goat kids and goats in general..
    Barbara