Sick Buckling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hallelujahdairy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

I have a buckling who is 5 weeks old. 4days ago, started with diarrhea, got really bad, to the point of it being like water and squirting out. Day before I treated with banamine, c&d antitoxin, b12, penicillin orally. Diarrhea got some consistency to it but not gone. Next day did pepto, and all the above again. He seemed ok, not hunched, tail up and walking around with others. Yesterday he stopped eating, only took 6 oz in the morning and 3 oz last night. This morning still not eating, tried to force some pepto with the dimethox in it but only got about 3 cc in him. I have him in the house under a heat lamp as it was in the 40's here and he was cold. I was hoping that by raising his body temp he might eat. Any suggestions? I know if something doesnt turn around I will lose him.

Thanks
    Lori

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What are you doing for cocci prevention and treatment?

Sara

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

at this point if he were mine I'ld be getting Yogurt, Probios, or If you are lucky enough to have some Kefir, to help restore flora to his gut. I'ld treat with the antitoxin first oral, and of course his SQ injections of all you listed, than the pepto and the "Kefir" and later in the day hit him with the dimethox or the corid,

4. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

I use dimethox and got some in him this morning. He had a treatment about 1.5 weeks ago but realized it probably didnt work as it had crystalized. So bought new yesterday. I have already tried the c&d, b12, banamine, penicillin orally......no luck. Didnt give the probios as I was giving penicillin orally and needed it to take effect first.

Lori

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Why are you giving Penicillin orally??? Not only is it ineffective but you are killing the good gut flora.

I think you have a couple things going on here - cocci and now his gut. Quit with the oral penicillin. Treat him for cocci and give him probios.

Sara

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Once a kid is cudding, he is no longer a single stomached infant. Only infants can we do oral penn...and honestly in the baby diarrhea list of things it can be, and that list is mighty long, nothing is treated with penn.

Always give bo-se, worm and put them on cocci meds...treatment not prevention. Banamine to calm the gut and something like probios or kefir or diarsynal to add good beneficial bacteria to the intestine. It's the intestine that the problems are coming from.

Pepto is fine for calming sloshy tummies.

Times like this is when running a fecal into the vet, or learning to fecal is key. It saves the kids a ton of meds, and saves his intestine if it is cocci.

Now you have major nursing care ahead of you, including fluids. Only milk in his tummy now as you medicate him, and watch his temp, as he sloughs intestine, his temp will go up and then he will get pnemonia, dehydrate and die. Vicki

7. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

He drank 7oz this morning and is being treated with dimethox. So hopefully he is coming around.