sick buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by johnneo, Aug 17, 2008.

1. johnneo

johnneo Guest

I have a buck that is about 4years old. He was fine yesterday but tonight when I went out I saw that his face is swollen, his nose and eyes are runny. Under his chin looks swollen and puffy. Almost like he has extra flesh over night. Does anyone have any idea what this might be. Up until today he has been healthy.

JohnneO
    Winnsboro,Tx

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Could you post a picture?
    Reason I ask...it could be anything from bee/wasp stings, snake bite, starting to swell from rut....??
    Is he acting sick? congested? fever?

If his neck is also swollen with rolls of skin...it could be rut.? Mine (Togg) looks like a blasted bassett hound now with his neck swollen and rolls of skin, his jaws are swollen and he's stinking to high heaven! :sigh
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And bottle jaw, what you worming with? Is he anemic, check under his eyelid...goatkeeping 101 has the anemic chart under Famacha. Vicki

4. johnneo

johnneo Guest

He looks better today. He does stink but he smells the way he does every August. He is very interested in my does. Today his face is not as swollen but he does still have the stuff under his neck, just not as bad as it was yesterday. I think it is a possibility that he could be anemic. I do give them a loose minerals but have had problems in the past with anemia. Can't do pictures right now. I am not sure what rut is but will look it up.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok rut is when they stink and are ready to breed does.
    anemia has nothing to do with minerals Anemia is caused by a worm burden so you need to worm your goats with cydectin here in TX.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

My best guess, without a pic.....he's developing bottle jaw! Anemia. Worm him with Cydectin like Sondra said and start him on some red cell-horse stuff from the feed store. HC is at it's worst during August/Sept. Wonderful tropical like weather...then they burrow into the intestinal wall to winter. All bucks need a good worming (with the right wormer) this time of year...before the stress of rut wears them down.
    Kaye