sick bottle baby

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Dec 14, 2007.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

My cousin raises boers. She asked me to take 2 orphans that she had been bottle feeding, as she is going out of town and cannot take care of them.
    I picked them up last night. A 4 day old doeling and a buckling about a week older.

They had been kept outside, fed twice daily with goat milk replacer. (10 ounces twice daily)

When I brought them home last night, they seemed thin but feisty. I gave them each a small amt to drink around 8pm (about 4 oz each) I am using goat milk I had frozen.

This morning, both were fine. Fed them about 10 oz of warm goat milk.

At noon, noticed the doeling was bouncy but the buckling was depressed and had no interest in the bottle. I temped them both- her temp was 101, his was 96.4.

Brought them inside, he is huddled near the wood stove. Re-temped him after about 45 min- temp is 97.6. Going downhill quickly it seems- acting painful. Started to roll on the ground. I gave 20cc antitoxin SQ.

What else should I do? I do not have banamine on hand. I have penicillin, Lactated Ringers, pepto.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Donna

2. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Also, noticed last night that he has dried fecal material under this tail, so he has been scouring to some extent. Did not notice any new scours today. I attributed that to the milk replacer.
    He also has a goopy eye with thick white discharge. It looks better today than it did when I picked him up.
    He is quieter now, he had been laying flat out on his side and crying loudly, now he is on his sternum with his legs drawn up under him, sleeping.

3. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Well,
    his temp is up to 99.4. He was looking very bad so I repeated the SQ antitoxin, and tubed him. I gave him a crushed aspirin (I will make sure to get banamine at work tomorrow), 10cc antitoxin orally, and some pepto. I also gave some benadryl orally in the tube. I was researching pain medications a few months ago, when I was treating a litter of parvo puppies at home; I found some online references that cited benadryl as an analgesic. I treated my 3 puppies with benadryl and noted that it stopped their vomiting and helped with their stomach pain.
    I am trying it on this baby because I do not have any way to get banamine until tomorrow, and he appeared to be in severe pain. At the moment, he is sleeping.

If there is anything else I can or should do, I welcome all advice.
    Donna

4. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Donna as bad as the replacer is, I think the sudden change might have cause the trouble. Keep him warm and give b-complex and yogurt/ kefir or probios.
    As long as he keeps drinking, he might turn around. i would not give banamine at this point because it will lower the temp even more. I know aspirin is controversial, but i had good results with it.
    Did he get enough colostrum when he was born?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would continue what your doing as it seems to be working. adding yogurt (live culture) kefir or probios is always good and adding 1/8 to 1/4 teas baking soda to any bottles helps with digestion.

6. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

He got colostrum, but his dam decided she only wanted to raise one baby and he had been bouncing around in the field, trying to nurse off anyone that would let him.

Interestingly enough, he slept hard after I tubed him, and just woke up. He is following me around the house, not quite normal but not crying in pain like he was. I really thought I was going to lose him. His temp is up to 100 and he briefly sucked on my finger as if he wanted to eat.

I realize now that I should have made the switch more slowly, I knew better. I just wanted to get him off that nasty milk replacer. The doeling did just fine.

If he is hungry, should I feed him? Or withhold milk until tomorrow morning and just give him SQ fluids?

I feel better about him, but am not sure he is out of the woods yet.

Donna

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would let him eat but small amounts at a time like 4 oz but more often like every 4 hrs.

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I like Sondra's yogurt idea too.......

9. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Yes, I will add the yogurt/kefir into his bottle. (should've done that to begin with.....)
    Thanks everyone, I hope he turns around.

Donna

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like he is doing better so Hopes are high here.

11. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

His temp is 101 now. He stood up when I came back in after feeding the animals; he is not as bright as his sister but he is not crying in pain, either. He sucked on my finger briefly and his mouth still feels cold-ish. Not warm like when his sister tries to nurse on me.

He also sounds stuffy like he has an upper respiratory. Since his eye was cleaned earlier, I haven't noticed any more discharge. But it was really goopy last night. There isn't any noticeable nasal discharge, but it is a little weepy.
    Will penicillin help him? I work at the E-clinic tomorrow, but I know we don't have Nuflor or.....Naxcel? Is that right? I can get other small animal antibiotics if needed.

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Going through my head what a clinic might have in the way of broad spectrum antibiotics.....
    Do you have injectable Baytril 100 in the clinic? Or injectable cephalexin-Keflex?
    Keflex is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics.Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections.

Baytril 100 is dosed at 1cc/50#'s so drop the doseage according to weight. There is a long withdrawl on it. I'd prefer to use the cephalexin or similar drug.

You do need to get a cc of banamine(you can put a couple of cc's in a red top blood tube and wrap in aluminum foil) to have on hand. It sounds like he had a bout of entro to go along with the change in milk. I always give banamine in pain cases despite what the temp is. It would have also stopped the spasms in the gut.
    Kaye

13. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Kaye,
    I can get baytril 100, or I can use cefazolin. I can get some banamine tomorrow as well. I was waiting for them to order me a bottle, but I will definitely bring some home in a blood tube.

I feel like the gut pain stopped after giving the crushed aspirin (and possibily the benadryl too, but that is just my opinion), and he is doing a bit better now.

He occasionally sucks on my finger, and I am tempted to feed him, but I am afraid. His temp is much better (101), but his mouth still feels a bit cold when he sucks, and I am afraid to start the whole cycle again.

I plan on repeatng the antitoxin before I go to bed, along with another aspirin/ benadryl if needed.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

He has to have that milk to keep going so I sure would feed him 4 oz puting kefir in as half or all kefir being sure to warm it to 102 degrees so his body doesn't have to heat up the milk

15. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Well, I thought he was doing better. He was walking, following me around the house. He kept trying to nurse on my finger. His temp was good, belly didn't seem painful when palpated. I went ahead and bottlefed him about 3-4 oz warm milk. He drank well, slept for a short while, then started that crying again, as if he was in pain. He'd wake with a start, then flail around, stretch out, etc. His temp is now 102.4.
    I gave him another round of SQ antitoxin, and tubed him again, same as this afternoon. He seemed immediately relieved after I pulled the tube out, and his belly didn't seem as painful or as large. Now he is quiet, sleeping.
    I guess I'd better bring my pillow downstairs, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like he is bloating everytime not sure what I would do right now probably no more milk at least till morning. When you say you tubed him were you tubing milk or just relieving air?
    The banamine tomarrow will sure help

17. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Sondra,
    I tubed him in order to give more antitoxin orally, plus some pepto, and crushed aspirin. It did seem to make him feel better immediately. I heard and smelled the air escaping the tube as it passed (l have lots of experience with tubing bloated dogs- that is what it was like)
    He is sleeping now, hasn't cried out since being tubed.
    Would it be helpful to give him some SQ fluids tonight?

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

He really shouldn't need them I wouldn't think The antitoxin is what is soothing his stomach I would think at this point. Don't think I would give any more pepto tho because you don't want him stopped up. You would rather at this point see him poo and even loose stools if that happens knowing he is getting rid of bad stuff. If you want something to sooth the stomach then use malanta as is easier on them doesn't cause stopage and coats the linings.

19. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Thanks Sondra.

I am about out of pepto anyway, he really only got enough to mix in with the aspirin and antitoxin. Last time he pooped was around 3pm, when I was temping him. First a teaspoon-sized amount of normal looking berries, followed by a small amount of clumpy poo. Nothing since.
    Thanks again for everyone's advice.
    Donna

20. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Buckling has been fine since yesterday- thanks again for all the advice!

(Now I just have to re-acclimate him to being outside- he prefers to sleep curled up next to the wood stove....)

Donna