Sick Baby - Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Josie, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Josie

Josie New Member

I am posting this to a friend and refering her to the forum to read responses as she is not registered (yet).

The situation is a 4 week old kid who is dam raised and suddenly (this morning) standing off by herself. Early this evening she was down completely - can't raise her head or stand. Seems to be crying a lot in pain. Was tubed with milk, nutridrench and gatorade about a half hour ago (friend is desparate) and perked up a bit but still can't get up.

I have no idea what's going on, but here are some things I've asked/info i've got.

- Kid hasn't had CD&T vaccine (was given anti-toxin at disbudding)
    - No scours

I think the kid is fading fast, but she wants to know if anyone has any ideas just because of having other other kids etc.

Thanks for *any* ideas!
    Josie < - who is swamped in school work but still loves this forum.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CD ANTITOXIN FAST at least 20 cc alternat sides 3 cc ea for total 12 cc give the rest orally. I also give 2 cc pen orally and don't be giving or tubing anything into this goat but milk. only a couple oz at a time.

3. Josie

Josie New Member

Thank Sondra. I've never seen CD in goats, (have in sheep tho) and was wondering about that. Thanks for the speedy response!

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would also give it a shot of fortified B complex too. just my 2 cents

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Maybe a bit of banamine for the discomfort, too.

You repeat the Antitox every 4 hours until the goat gets better or dies. When we went through this, ours did not need a second dose. Just to share.

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Floppy kid syndrome ??????? I have no clue...just an idea.

7. Josie

Josie New Member

I wondered about this but I think the kid is too old. :/ not fun anyway.

I'm leaning towards enterotoxemia. I've been trying to call and see if the kid is still alive but haven't heard anything yet. Maybe no news is good news.