Showing Bucks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tim Pruitt, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I think I am through with showing bucks. I won't say, "Never" but just thinking it over, it really isn't worth my time and effort. To prepare some 200+ pound boy by washing and clipping him and preparing him for show and then to be drug around the ring by the fellow and urinated on - just ain't my cup of tea anymore. For years, I have advocated showing bucks because if you don't find structural correctness on the sire - how can you expect it from their offspring? However, I think that can be done even better with appraisal.

One of the last shows that I participated showing bucks in, did not have even 10 bucks to qualify. That's pretty aggravating when you have washed and groomed the big old boy, paid entry fees, an extra pen fee and then was fussed at by your pen neighbor for having a buck too close to their does. I wasn't even given a courtesy call from the show secretary telling me that there were not enough to qualify. Another show, the bucks had to be tied in another arena. A buck broke loose and fought and injured my buck - although temporary - it was enough to disqualify him from the ring as he limped so badly. :sigh

Then again, the buck show is the last thing of the day and I could have loaded up and been 2-3 hours down the road.... Nope! I am through with showing bucks even though some of mine only have another show leg to go. It just isn't my "THING TO DO" anymore. :nooo

2. lyceum

lyceum New Member

I hear ya Tim! We moved our Sable buck to a new pen the other day and it was about all I could do to restrain him. They are too big and too much work to get to the show and not have enough to even get a leg.

Carisa

3. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We wonder why we show bucks also. We had a situation last year where we were at a district specialty and there were 10 of our breed in the barn, but an exhibitor decided at the last moment to pull her buck making it not official, how unsportsmanlike.
    Yet we have never finished a buck, mostly because of the lack of buck shows close, so that is still been a goal of ours. Most of the buck shows we have attended have been on the first night of a two day show so we do not get out of there any earlier anyway. The once a year clip job seems to keep them well groomed into breeding season so that is a plus also.
    Tim

4. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I'm with you on this one Tim. Last show I showed bucks was to get the last leg on Pan. He had the wins, but not enough numbers to get finished after hauling him to Georgia :crazy
    I won't show ... or I say I won't... but if there's a chance to get one finished.. I'll take them.. if it's to a quad show, like the one in Baton Rouge. Hauling to a single or double show just is NOT worth it.

I tried the trimming.. bathing.. on those hugh boys.. said to heck with it one day.. after one tore up about everything I had.. and almost killed me. I was NOT going to be outdone. I called Sydell.. had them drop ship one of those bad boy stands. Put my hugh guy in it.. and I swear he threw a fit so bad.. but if it's done right.. they are NOT going anywhere. I do believe he actually cried after he found out he was 'in the straight jacket' stand. I won't be without one again.. it's about the best investment in the goat department I have ever made.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:mad Try having Toggs,Obies, and Saanens! They never sanction those breeds, but put them in AOP. Nope, I've shown my last buck show 3 yrs. ago. I even PAID the Togg buck sanction fee...to keep them out of AOP. Won't happen again. It's just so much easier to do LA on them and then let their daughters do the talking.

Laughing...I was VERY BAD last year at a unsactioned show, though. It's held in Sept. and they show bucks! We had to have the show for two years to get them to sanction it. Suppose to, this year. Anyway, to prove a point of WHY we don't show bucks in Sept. I loaded my 4yr. old, VERY RUTTY, VERY STINKY, Togg buck. (Tee,hee it's a one day show, so I didn't have to sleep in barn with him!) I taught him to lead by a few hairs in his beard...ugh, gloves needed. But, with his "SWEET" aroma following him to the ring...we trotted down the aisle, got in the ring, jerked his beard and he set up! Judge gave him a CH along with the statement that "THERE is the reason, Dairy Goat Breeders don't show bucks in the fall!" WHEW!! I noticed this year...bucks aren't included in the show list. ;)
    Kaye

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

FORGET IT!! I wouldn't even dream of showing a stinky old buck in the fall.

That's funny Kaye! :rofl

7. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Oh that's too funny on showing that buck in rut, I can see the judges face now! :rofl Oh yeah and mine!! :biggrin
    Karen

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin To say the least...teats and testicles WERE NOT CHECKED! :rofl
    Kaye

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl That is too funny!

-Kim

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Kaye, why am I not surprised? :biggrin

You know, I was just talking about this with Robin.....I was going to clip up my finished GCH boy and take him to the specialty -- and then I thought -- why on earth for???
    I think I'm through with it too -- heck, I'd rather be finished and on the way home than still standing in the ring at 9 pm! Or one year it was 1 AM!!!!!

My "goat mentor" once asked me why I bothered to show bucks? He asked me if I chose to use a buck or his semen because of a GCH in front of his name....ummm, no, I don't. He says of course you don't, you look at his dam!

Tracy

11. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I agree Tracy, a GCH in front of a bucks name means very little. I have always looked at show wins like this.....

A CH leg only means that this could have been the LEAST crappy goat, out of all of the crappy goats at the show that day.

Linear is definately a better tool to evaluate a bucks worth, and seeing his daughters.

There was a GCH Nubian buck in my area that was always getting dragged to shows. He was an aged buck, and still going BBIS on occation. Interesting thing was you never saw ANY milking daughters! Ever!

He sure looked pretty tho!

Ken

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ken is so right here with the least crappy of the crappy.

When I used to judge field trail dogs, it just was so frustrating to have to place a very undeserving dog up there in the points standings.....but lots of times they would be the lesser of the evils to choose from. When the criteria is met at a show, you've got to choose somebody to win and place. I judged at some point in time , several field champions that I wouldn't let sniff my dogs butt, much less breed to them.

Whim

13. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yes! I have seen my share of BBIS bucks that you never seen a daughter that was worth a dime. Last year, I was amazed to see someone drag a old huge buck in to show and they won BOB with him. I asked where was his daughters and they replied, "Oh we don't have any that are show quality so we didn't bring any of them." It was the only ribbon they took home.

14. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Forgive me for this little sidetrack, but which stand would this be? I really need something I can get my bucks on and hold them steady for things like doing hooves and was wondering which one to get.

Thanks!

-- Wendy

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl
    No use explaining to that fence post! :really
    Kaye

16. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yeah Wendy I looked at the sydell site and didn't see any called "Bad Boys" lol! which one did you get Rett?

17. I like to show bucks but most shows the bucks show late Saturday and we want to head home. Plus it is hard to get Alpine bucks official.
    Becky