show info. please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

tomorrow my daughters are using 2 out of 4 of our current milkers in the local 4h show. i milk around 9, the show is at noon. i am very worried about not milking them in the morning!! should i milk at 5 am? or not til after the show? or milk very late tonight? how best to handle this? thanks.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would milk late at night and then make sure they are not over uddered at show time by taking a few squirts out if needed.
    I have found if I wait and milk at 5 am and then am moving the goats to the show they won't even udder up, so would rather have them get too full but watch closely and realease excess as needed. I don't believe in over uddering a doe just for show either.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When going to a show like this where you are moving them and showing them, than leave the house with the udder looking like you want. With the does not used to traveling or showing they will not make any milk on the ride or in the pens. As soon as you get to the show, clean the pens, hopefull you are spraying them down also for CL...vicron or techtrol etc.. bed them deep and then put the girls in with their hay and their water. Do not change their eating routine at all, nothing special because they are in pubic. I do buy them special hay if I can find something different. Vicki

4. chewie

chewie New Member

ok, i'll just milk a bit late tonight. what would i do without you ppl??!!! suffer, that's what!

oh dear, i do not have anything to spray down pens. can i use bleachwater? with kids showing, i can get as nasty-dirty as i need to be! hahah! i am very nervous, just a newbie at this, i dont' even know if our goats are worth showing! *chewing nails, tapping fingers* we shaved them a week ago, and will do touch ups tonight. i trimmed feet, they are all looking quite splendid! they are all so healthy looking and alert.

it really bugs me that they have to stay the whole day, even tho our show it at noon. ugh! i just want to let them show, then rush them home!!

5. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Be glad it is only for the day. Ours have to stay 3 days. They have to be there Thursday but don't show until Saturday.

6. chewie

chewie New Member

ok, i'll quit whining! i'm now late for milking tonight, this is killing me!! we have them all shaved and trimmed and pretty, geesh they look nice! they sure didn't appreciate our efforts tho! we are showing 2 doelings and 2 milkers. one is raising her own doeling (one of those we're showing) so at least i'll only have to milk one at show.

if there is any other advice, i'm all ears, this is our first, and i'm so nervous! i know its the kids doing it, but i am so nervous we are not doing the trimming right, their feet are too long (they looked good before we trimmed the hair!) or that the goats we have are duds!