show clipping kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

:):
    I'm sure this topic has come up two hundred and forteen times, but I've lost my mind, and can't seem to find it. (The subject...I'm not even going to try looking for my mind). At the end of May I will be going to my very first goat show. :woohoo I'm also taking my best friend and her daughter who got one of my kids this year. Do we need to clip our kids? Does everybody clip (or not clip?) I don't want to tell her to clip and then have our babies be the only naked ones there. :shrug I've got a new set of Premier clippers and they work great, but I'm wondering if this is the size clipper folks normally use on the more delicate areas, like the face and legs, or do you use a smaller clipper for those? I need to get a set of surgical blades for the udder on my FF that I will be taking, Premier has a set of surgical, and extra-surgical. Anyone have any advice on which blades would be the best to use? Thanks so much to all you very helpful people.
    Anita :hi

2. I'm sur eyou could contact where the show is at or a local 4-H leader. I know we do not clip other than the hooves and the ears. I just use my trimmer on them set on 9. Tammy

3. Anita,
    if you are talking about the VSDGA show 99% of kids there will be show clipped. It is usually hot and the kids will be old enough to do. I'd do the black kids about 2 weeks at last before the show, Jetaime maybe a week before. We use the regular #10 blade on kids.
    For udders a #40 blade is good. You can also just go over it with big clippers then use shaving cream and a razor. You have to be careful but you get such pretty uddders like this.
    Becky

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't bother going to a show without my goats clipped, hooves trimmed, super clean...they should be looking their best. You are not only there trying to win but your are showing others your stock.

There is no delicate area on a goat. There is only in your mind you being all gushy :). I shave the whole goat with my Listers, face, perineal area, tail, legs everything. Then go back over with my small andis, inside the ears, around the tail, around the lips and nose getting off every whisker, around the feet and dew claws and udder on milkers. Brush them really reall well so all that prickly hair is off and doesn't make them get bumps, then apply a whole bunch of Grand Champion, it contains a laquer so it repells dirt and manure. Then all you have is touch up at the show with a wash rag and another spraying of Grand Champion. Vicki

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Bad news Vicki... they quit making the Grand Champion spray.

Luckily I purchased a case when I found this out so I have enough to last until I find another similar product. :)

Sara

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are you kidding! Durn. I guess I will hit the feed stores around and buy them up, nothing works like it! Vicki

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Nope. I even called the company. I love that stuff and so far I can't find anything comparable. :nooo

Sara

8. Dusty

Dusty Member

What about the super blocking blade that comes on some of the andis clippers jeffers sells? Is it to short or long or does it have guards to adjust for cutting length?

9. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Okay, I guess I can't get out of clipping those kids. :/ I've had fun with my new clippers on my milking girls bellies and udders. Yes, Becky, we're going to the show in Harrisonburg. We're just going on Saterday as I don't have anyone at home to milk my other does. Do you use a grooming stand to clip or a regular milk stand? I don't have any grand champion, but is Cowboy Magic similar? I have lots of that, plus some show sheen. I got all the cut hair off my girls when I clipped them, but I keep finding it on me ...like stuck in my socks and bras....it's everywhere. Guess that's what I get for clipping in the dark. :sigh

10. I put my goats on the milk stand to clip them. I usually move the milk stand outside to the nearest shade tree to clip. I have two sets of clippers, the big kind and the smaller kind. I use the bigger ones to do the body, and the small ones for the legs, faces, ears. The smaller ones are alot easier for me to hold to clip the goats face and legs. I also razor shave Hannah's udder. Oh and also, I NEVER clip a goat unless I know I can go take a shower. No matter how careful I am, I get that hair EVERYWHERE.

I want to clip Delilah and Georgia soooooo bad because they look all scruffy with their winter coats but I dont want to clip them yet and have it turn back to winter. GRR.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The problem with show sheen is it collects dust. It would be ok to use just before you walked into the ring, but if they are done then put back in the pen...it's a mess.
    Grand Champion spray was really good. Dang it.
    Kaye

12. We clip on a milking stand. I've never used Grand Champion so can't help there.
    Becky