Show Clippers/trimmers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tioga13, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tioga13

tioga13 Guest

We need to invest in a decent pair of clippers now that our children are getting into showing goats. I don't have a couple hundred dollars to spend, and was wondering what will work well for the least money. Will horse or dog trimmers work? I've checked out what's on ebay but don't want to buy something that won't do a good job. What size heads do you who trim your goats use most frequently?
    Our old hair trimmers work fine for going around hooves and shaving udders, but I don't know what I'd need for a full body trim.
    Thanks! :p

2. Odeon

Odeon New Member

If I can offer you ANY advice, it would be to not scrimp when it comes to clippers.. At very least invest in a pair of Oster A5's (about $130). They will be the most versatile, and will last for YEARS if handled and cared for properly (I have had mine since 1995 or 1996).

The cheap "Wal-Mart" type clippers can't handle the amount of hair, the goats will look choppy, and the clippers literally will just burn out. You will go through more of them, than it would have cost for a nice pair.

Just my thoughts... Now someone feel free to interject with theirs...

Ken

3. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Not to hijack, but also.....what size blades are used? I have an Oster A5, but I have a size 40 blade- only good for surgical prep...........

4. coso

coso Guest

A #10 blade on the Oster A5 is what I use for the body. You can use that 40 on the udder.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No way... not here! If you've ever used a big clipper you'd never go back to the noisy, hot A5's! They are fine for udders and hard to reach areas like insides of legs, faces, etc. But for a major body clip you will want a large animal clipper. The small clippers are not nearly as powerful nor as fast.

I love my Lister large animal clipper and Andis small animal clipper. Both clip numerous goats several times a year and are well made and stand up to the abuse that I put them through. :)

Sara

6. coso

coso Guest

I agree Sara. I have a big pair of Clipmasters that I body clip with. But I thought she was asking what blade to use on the A5 to body clip with. :shrug2

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Gotcha. :)

I do know of people who say they body clip with an A5... can you imagine how long that must take? :nooo

Sara

8. coso

coso Guest

Yeah, I know how long it takes :biggrin That's all we had the first year we showed and we body clipped three with it. That was enough to convince us to get a big set of clippers.

9. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Sara,

I also use large clippers (my workhorse clipmasters that I bought back in my 4-H days). My recommendation was intended if you were just going to by 1 set of clippers. Yes, the large clippers are MUCH better for bodies, but if you needed to, and you were on a budget, you could get by with a smaller set. Again, just my opinion...

But definately BOTH are a much better choice if you are able.

Ken

10. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I use my large clipmasters for body clips and my small andis clippers for faces, feet, legs.. I love the big clippers, they cut through all that hair so fast..
    Barbara

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you aren't going to spring for Listers etc...than get the Andis. Kenny my gal friend who does fitting for everyone around here has always used A5's and the big Clipmasters, in fact when I got my Listers to get them cheap I had to buy two more Clipmasters and blades. She used them for several years. Now she has a pair of Listers and when she used my Andis maroon Plus 2's she said her A5's were a toy compared to them. The Andis are fast, lightweight and are little workhorses. Always read the stroke speed. Really look around get the Equine and Livestock catalogs from jeffers 1-800-jeffers...and also call and ask if they have anything going on sale. Vicki

12. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Be sure and check around the for sale ads locally and at your local groomers. I picked up a set of the big set of clip masters with case for $50.00. The people had bought them to groom their dog and maybe used them once! So check around. Also if your children are in 4-H, ask around. Our club has a set of the big clippers as a "club" clipper and the children check them out.

Good luck finding clippers.

Leslie

13. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I use the clipmaster for the body because I have them. If something made me buy another large clipper it would not be the clipmaster. See what Vicki said above. I also have the A5 and never take them out of the case. I love the wahl clippers at Wal Mart in the pet section. The cost 29.99. The blades slide in and out so you can blend the legs into the body. And.......... you can purchase replacement blade, but they cost almost as much as the clippers so I go buy new clippers because for me it is easier.

14. tioga13

tioga13 Guest

Thanks for all the feedback so far! :D
    In reading item descriptions, I see some clippers have pop on blades. I am assuming they mean plastic and am also assuming they don't do as nice a job as the metal ones. The metal ones all screw on, right?
    Do the rechargeable units seem as powerful as the corded ones?

15. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Pop on are best described as clip ons vs screw on blades

16. Belle

Belle New Member

In my experience the rechargeable ones are not as powerful or as good as the ones with cords.
    All blades do not screw onto the clippers. Alot of the blades you can take off and change them, I'm not sure but maybe those are the pop on blades you are talking about? I don't think they make plastic blades but they do make plastic guards that fit over the metal blades to leave the hair different lengths.

17. leslieh

leslieh New Member

The Andis have what you are calling the "pop" on blades. They are metal.

I have had a set of Wahl stable pro's. 2 sets of them in fact. By the way they are nice clippers, but the drive part under the blades are plastic and they will melt if you are doing heavy duty clipping! (Ask me how I know! :lol) They are the kind of blades that you must use a screw driver to change blades. You must stop and unscrew them to change back and forth for legs and then the ears and udder. (#10 blade and then a #40 or #50).

I now have a set of Andis and the quick change is SOOOOO nice!

Leslie

18. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We use the andis because we couldn't afford clipmasters at the time. Really like them and they do a good job.

19. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I LOVE my small Andis clippers....although I'm sure I'll be going for a bigger pair whenever I start doing lots of full body clips.

20. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I would also recommend the Andis clippers if you are going for "best for the least" buy. While that is not the clipper I own (I have old Osters that I hope to replace as soon as I can) it is the clipper we use at the Vets office I work for. We use it all day everyday to clip our animals and they do great, they also fit both the Oster and the Andis blades that "pop" on and off. They wont last you "forever" but they will give you a good several years for under $100.
    Patina