show bloom

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunswakinup, Apr 13, 2008.

1. sunswakinup

sunswakinup Guest

Do any of you use a supplement called Show Bloom? Jeffers carries it. I'm thinking about getting some but wanted to see if any of you use it and if so what you think of it.
    Dawn Eaves

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's a knock off of Calf Manna, and each mill makes their own knock off of this soy based, whey based first feed for calves. It is chocked full of excellent minerals, and as little as a quarter cup a day will improve bloom on the coat, and the overall health of your doe. I love using this type of thing since I feed oats and I don't have a mineral mix in their milkstand grain...well because it's just oats :) Babies love this anise flavored pellet and most of my does love it also. It is not a buckling or wether feed with it's high phosphrous soy and it's high protein soy. But don't go ordering something like this from Jeffers. There is Calf Manna, Supplement Pellets, Head Start..tons of names for this same thing. Start slowly with it, maybe only a table spoon the first week and move forward. Vicki

3. sunswakinup

sunswakinup Guest

Thanks so much I appreciate the insight :)

4. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

Vicki

Just curious...why not order this from Jeffers?

Melissa

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Not Vicki, but you can pretty readily buy this locally at feed stores or Tractor Supply and that way you don't have to pay shipping fee.

6. NubianSoaps.com

I dont' have time to price it on Jeffers, but what Chris said, shipping.

I pay $12 per 50 for Wendlands Supplement, and a 25 pound bag of Calf Manna brand supplement is more than that at TSC. Using 1/4 cup per milking and a handful over grain for doelings it's a super cheap supplement. But just know that blooming your goats to be milkers who show, is about the dry period. When you shave them down this early May the skin and hair was built in the winter, and does blow their coats with not enough nutrition when heavy bred. So taking that extra care during the winter gives you a better early shave down. Does freshening in good flesh and skin health. Vicki

7. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

Thanks Vicki,

Did I understand that you just use this primarily during winter? To improve coat for Spring shaving/showing?

Melissa

8. NubianSoaps.com

No I use fat during the winter, then once fresh I use this to improve protein and amounts of vitamins and minerals for the milkers on the milkstand and baby goatlings. Vicki

9. it's about $20 for 50 lbs at TSC. We feed it to our milking does.