Should these babies eat from this Mama?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have some orphan kids that I am bottle feeding - I'm going on a trip next week and want to try to get them on a doe so she doesn't have to be milked while I'm gone. She is a big milker, but just has one little kid who doesn't eat much. I plan to put these babies on her while she is in the milkstand and she won't know the difference. This has worked GREAT for me before! My question is: these babies have had some staph stuff on their bottoms. I've been wiping it with chloraxadine (sp?), and it's getting better, but I don't want these babies to be giving her a case of staph mastitis or anything like that. Of course her own buckling has it too...so I didn't think it really mattered but wanted to ask. Any cautions? Kristin :whatdoyouthink :thankyou

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

so how many kids are you planing on putting on this doe?

3. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

This would be three now. She's a big milker.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK well this is my thought on this they all have the staph sooooooo that is a mute point.
    age of orphanes and size compared to her own kid would be my concern. Personally I never have 3 kids on one doe but I know there are people who do.