Should I give Tetanus antitoxin before disbudding?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Feb 20, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

My two does that kidded in the last several days had their CD&T boosters given to them by the person I bought them from in Oct. 07. I forgot to give them boosters before they kidded. Do I need to give the kids tetanus antitoxin when I disbud or not? I thought I remembered reading that if the kid has antibodies from it's dam then the antitoxin and antibodies will cancel each other out. Or maybe I misunderstood.
    Thanks,
    Belinda

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The doe really should have had a C/D T a couple weeks before she kidded. This is to boost the antibodies in the colostrum.
    So, yep. Why take the chance. And if you have a horse or two running on the property...by all means.

That argument was for animals that were being treated for tetanus. Just be sure these babies get their C/D T toxoid at no later than 21 days old.
    Kaye

3. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks. I will make sure and give the antitoxin when I disbud.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes I do and then start my CD/T series of (3) after 10 days of giving the antitoxin.

5. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

I talked to the lady I bought my does from and she said she stopped giving the tetanus antitoxin as she was seeing too many reactions in the kids. She does give CD&T before kidding also. So should I give the tetanus since these goats are from a herd that has quite a few reactions? What is the greater risk, giving the shot and risking a reaction or not giving the shot and risking tetanus? Is it possible to keep the area that has been burned clean and dry like with peroxide or iodine? Or using Furral for a few days or more? I really hate that I forgot the last CD&T, it was just a hectic time and it slipped my mind. I am planning to keep two of the kids, one doe and the other as a pet wether and we are already very attached to them so I want to make sure to do what is best.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YOU DO NOT WANT TETNUS so certainly would take chances on getting a reaction have your epi pulled and ready to use in case of a reaction.

7. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Reactions are really possible, but i think they are a lot rarer than it seems. I know folks who have raised hundreds of kids and have maybe seen one reaction in 10 years. I'd wonder if she is seeing more, just how big a dose is she is giving?

I personally work of the assumption that tetanus is a greater likelyhood than a reaction, and its a lot harder to cure. For all the animals and people I take care of :) Theres always some element of risk with any intervention, or even without an intervention if ones needed! I just try to figure the risk/benefit ratio- since nothing is risk free, which is the safest or less likely to cause harm in the long run? I figure thats where my comfort level needs to be.

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have never seen a reaction from antitoxin, but I have seen tetanus. Reactions are usually curable, tetanus is often fatal. I would take the chance. I usually give 500 units the day of castrating/disbudding/tattooing.

Beth

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Do NOT put anything on the disbudded area in the form of a liquid. If you just have to, re-spray it with the fural. You want that to build a scab and pop off. Peroxide is totally out of the question and iodine is right there with it. With either of these two your asking for trouble.
    Even with open wounds, peroxide is to be used with the first cleaning and then, not again. It irritates the exposed tissue and inhibits healing.
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Other than for finding wounds by cleaning and then using peroxide on the area to bubble up and show you an abscess around a hoof, and cleaning LaMancha ears, ...Peroxide has no place in your barn.

I always spray heads for a couple of days with Fural.

Tetanus is such a biggy here in the south that you will soon become a stickler for nothing getting in the way of vaccinations. I have only had one reaction, and it wasn't in my goatling to antitoxin....the other was on a 4th or 5th day of pennicillin.

Just know that antitoxin only gives you about 10 days of protection, and you have no immunity from toxoid until the 2nd shot 21 days later. Vicki

11. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks for all of the advice on peroxide and iodine, I had no idea that it wasn't good to use. So the antitoxin is good for 10 days? Should I give another 10 day later? The CD&T is given on day 21? And if I have a reaction, will Benadryl do any good? Or is there anything that I can get at the feed store for a reaction? My vet won't give a prescription without seeing the animal.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda