Shivering in milkstand

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jan 30, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I was reading the calcium gluconate posts and have a question about...
    "No quivering in the muscles when you milk."

My LM doe, who freshened last April, is still being milked. I noticed that while the other doe didn't shiver in the stand, she does. This has been since Novemeber (when it cooled down) as this is when I bought her back and brought her home. I haven't taken her temp as I didn't put it together until just now. It is cold out, so I thought she was just colder than the other doe. But, I wonder, because she really shivers in the stand. She seems to stop shivering once we begin milking. I haven't noticed whether or not she shivers outside while she's running around. I guess I need to pay attention tomorrow and see!

She gets 2.5 lbs alfalfa pellets, 1.5 lbs whole grains (barley, wheat, BOSS and Flax seed), BB TechMaster minerals and kelp and grass hay. I normally give her 1 tsp of dolomite and ACV with her grain (calcium/magnesium carbonate). She rarely finishes her grain ration but does eat all of the alfalfa pellets.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I dont know for sure but maybe the people that had her wasnt to nice to her on the milkstand? They dont really forget if someone is mean to them. I'm just taking a guess here...dont want to make anyone mad, also if she is running a fever she will shiver too. but she sounds like that may not be the problem. Just guessing as I bought a doe that did this because the people hit her because she wouldnt stand still...took forever to get her to where she didnt shake. Good luck..

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I have a wild doe who does this. I have to catch her everytime.......and she shivers on the stand. I hate her guts.....but I want her genetics before I send her down the road. Aren't I awful?? :blush :lol

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Maybe stop putting soo much stuff on top of her grain so she will consume more calories, I put additives on the bottom of the milkstand bowl, so they can choose to lick at it if they like...some of my does hate BOSS and if I put it ontop of their grain they will eat less grain. I would bet you are seeing the same thing especially with vinegar. Make sure your flax is not whole, you will eventually have a goat cud one into the side of her gum.

If she is not a big grass hay eater, than up her alfalfa pellets a little more. The big amounts of roughage in your whole grains, your hay and alfalfa pellets is what she needs to keep her rumen heated up and keeping her warm.

My weirdness in my herd in my milkers, is that some does after being milked, go lay down in the hay room, acting as if they are either in pain (way after their uterus would still have any contractions at all). I mean hop off the milkstand and almost run to go lay down. So maybe she is just a shaker :) If this was milkfever symptoms she would have progressed to being down by now, she likely has less body fat than her peers. Vicki

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Well, it's not abuse but she is a butt! She is our runner. We have to chase her down and lead her to the milk room. She definitley doesn't have the "will to milk" like our other doe. She likes her BOSS and eats them first. Even if I don't put ACV in her grains she is slow...like today when my ACV was frozen, she got plain. She used to eat really fast...faster than I could milk...but that was with sweet, sticky Purina Goat Chow! I'm glad to know this isn't a Milk Fever issue but something other than, though.

6. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

We have a two-year-old Nubian that was this way when we first bought her. At the farm, she was jumping on the milkstand to be milked quite nicely, but of course, she was traumatized by the relocation and everything was new, plus the woman we bought her from let all of her does dam-raise their kids so they weren't socialized. So last year we had to drag her into our milking area until she learned to follow the lead goats (because she didn't want to be alone) and then it was a struggle to get her on the stand and make her stand still. She eventually learned, but as a yearling, she wasn't easy to milk and I ended up drying her off early and sticking her in with a buck to get her bred.

Then the second year she was just fine. She'd adjusted and became one of my better milkers. She was the first to kid and therefore the first to be milked (because I have so few goats, I tend to milk in the order they kid), and she would come running into the basement and hop right up onto the milkstand right away and stand there patiently while I milked her. She's one of the best goats we've got now.

It could be that she's just jittery. Once she's been bred again and learns to go through the motions again, she may calm down.

-- Wendy

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yep, sounds like my doe. Doesn't matter how nice I am to her, she hates to be milked and though she will jump on the stand and stand like a rock to be milked, I have to sneak up on her to catch her and she shivers on the stand most every time. Grrrr.....

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Well, this doe is 5 years old been bred each year and was in the middle of her lactation. Maybe she's just a drama queen! Thanks for the suggestions. She has to be "re-taught" to the milk stand each freshening...disagreeable, foot in the bucket, hopping around like a loon. This is my La Mancha girl!

9. I am new to this site. I couldn't help but respond to this, because I have a doe that is doing the same thing. This is her 4th kidding. She has only kept her kids on her once. Last year was the first year the doe was with me here at the farm. She was bred here and kidded here. She gave birth to twins last year. Her Udder filled properly last year, loved to be milked (always wanted to be first in line to be milked), always ate her grain and milk production was very good. This year she kidded and had triplets. Her Udder is still not filling properly, stays away from the gate when it is time to milk ( I usually have to go and get her), doesn't want to eat her grain (same grain as last year during milking and end of her pregnancy)(which she ate just fine when she was pregnant), milk production is very low compared to last year, and she shakes everytime I get her on the stand. She does stop shaking when I milk her. It is just very odd. She looks very good for having triplets. I do have her on full hay, which is the same as I did last year. She honestly still looks a little chubby for having triplets less than a month ago. I find it rather odd. It doesn't matter if it is cold out or warmer out she still shakes.