Shipping question

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Can I safely mail soap in a flat rate envelope? It looks like I can fit 8 bars in but I'd want to reinforce the top with tape. I know some POs balk at that but I *think* mine will take it. Anybody ship like that?

2. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Use only a small amount of tape and call your local USPS to make sure.

The envelopes usually have good adhesive.

Amanda Lee

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have sent soap in Flat Rate envelopes (to friends not customers). However, it's only ever been 3-4 bars max. I would send your order in a Flat Rate box and not take the risk of an envelope. And yes... I used lots of tape. Not sure why you wouldn't. :)

Sara

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use only boxes for soap

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay, thanks. I'm going to see how 6 bars fit. I think the top will close much better with that amount. I have a customer asking for as much as I can fit in a flat rate envelope.

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would be concerned that they would get banged up. I would make your customer aware of this when quoting her the price for a USPS Flat Rate Envelope.

Sara

7. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

My local Postmaster told me that the flat rate envelope must close naturally for whatever is in there.
    I have gotten soap in a flat rate envelope, but it was the sliced bars not the big rectangular bars
    that some here make.

I usually figure that the flat rate boxes are the best deal for soap purchases. The envelopes would
    be more for just getting a sample bar or two.

Trisha

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I ship 3 bars in flat rate envelopes. It's the cheapest shipping I can offer for those who want to try 1 to 3 bars. Vicki

9. We ship in Flat Rate Envelopes, if it will fit. No more than 6 of my bars (which are half the size of most people's bars). Dad uses flute in it to stiffen it up and keep the soap safe. Ditto what Trisha's post master said.
    My customers have said the bars arrive safe and sound.

10. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay, I tried again and 6 fit well enough so the flap closes fine. I did tell the cust. there was a chance they could get dinged up in transit as I didn't think there was room for any sort of padding. My bars are not a big as the MM bars. What is 'flute'?

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am guessing it is a fluted plastic.

12. Flute is thick cardboard used for shipping.
    Dad has it on hand for shipping books.