Shipping goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Leo, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

Has anyone ever flown a goat? I've had them(one) shipped to me, but never the other way around. How difficult is it? Most I've heard are shipped via Delta and there's the health papers, blood testing etc.
    Thanks,
    Megan

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

It's not hard. You take your goat to the vet for the health paper. Usually costs about $25.00 to $35.00 depends on your Vet. Tell them the goatling is 6 weeks old (trust me on this one). You want to ship when they are about 2 or 3 weeks old so they will fit in a medium size crate. They have to have enough room that they can stand comfortably and turn around completely. You need to get a rubber mat to go in the bottom of the crate (Delta's rules) You can get these at WalMart automotive department, cheap little car mats down on the shelf for like $3.00 each. I pour some clumping kitty litter over the rubber mat, then put hay over that. You have to send the water cups attached to the cage door even though you don't need them... it is the airline's rules. You will need the name, address and phone number of the person you are shipping to. I usually always send my goatlings C.O.D. so the person pays for the shipping when they pick up the goat. Otherwise you will have to call the airline ahead of time and get the exact shipping charge (they will want to know the weight of the goat + crate and the destination) and have them send you the money before you send the goat. Delta Live Animal 1-888-736-3738. There are temperature (weather) restrictions. Feed your baby a nice big bottle just before you leave it at the airport and it will be fine until it gets to it's destination. I have not shipped anything out this year, but it was running about $176.00 to fly a goatling out of Houston. It also depends on your state's requirements as to whether or not the goatling will have to have a scrapie tag. You don't have to punch a hole in the baby's ear, just super glue it and that will surfice until it gets to its destination.

3. Leo

Leo New Member

Thank you so much!
    Megan

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Well prices for shipping this year are $200-$300 to fly into Atlanta.

Autumn