Shea Butter Nut?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Truly, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

So I opened my second box of shea today and found a huge nut. I guess it's called a nut.

Talk about unrefined.

It was cracked, but not broken completely open. I broke a piece off to see better the contents. Just like the stuff in the bags, but solid.

I was not expecting this. The shell is very light, so I didn't loose too much on the weight of my order, if any as it calculated to slightly more than my order.

Anyone else ever receive their shea in the nut?

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Nope. how big is a shea nut anyway? I know they have to cook and smoosh and stuff to make the butter, even if it is unrefined. I don't think they just pop open a nut and send it. Seems like they would have actually had to fill the nut to send it that way.

Wierd.

3. Truly

Truly New Member

It's bigger than a basketball. Maybe 15 inches in diameter.

I rolled it over some more and it is open on the side that was down. The stuff inside is definitely ready to use, so if there was something they had to do to it first, then they just put it back in the shell. Yes, very wierd.

There is a little mold on it in places; well I'm guessing it's mold. Kind of looks like the growths you get on cheese; some white, some dark.

I will be straining it after it's melted. Should I scrape this "mold" b4 I melt it?

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

WOW!!! I've been reading up on shea butter and how it is made and the agbanga site says the women may walk 10 or more miles a day to collect shea nuts - - those are some big nuts to haul around! (oops, did I just say that? :blush2, tee hee!) Seriously though, it is weird. Maybe they were proving to you how very unrefined it is, or they thought it was a cool novelty.

The mold I would definetely scrape off. ugh, I'm fairly new to this unrefined shea thing, but mold hasn't happened to me...

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Can you post a pic? I have never seen a shea nut before...This is so cool

6. Belle

Belle New Member

Yes, please post a picture. I want to see this too! :lol

7. Truly

Truly New Member

Ok, here's a pic. I put the can in the pic so you can estimate the size.

[​IMG]

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Wow! That is so cool! I had no idea the nuts where that big.

Sara

9. Belle

Belle New Member

:jawdrop
    Thats just bizare, but very neat, thank you so much for sharing!

10. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Very neat! But so strange that they sent you that!

11. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Thanks for the picture! Pretty neat anyway!

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

That is sooo cool!!! Can you clean it up and use it for display with your products? That is a strong visual for unrefined Shea :D

Christy

13. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

:yeahthat

I just google imaged Shea Nut and Karite Nut, they are small! I'd call the place where you got your shea and ask them about it :?

Christy

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep me too don't think this is normal especially now that you say "MOLD"

15. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, the pictures Sondra had are far more consistent to what I have read about then that big ole nut you've got in there!

I wonder is it possible for an oil to mold? I know they go rancid, but I've never seen and oil with mold on it....

16. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I thought I had read that poured the shea butter back into gourds after the crushed the shea nuts. Maybe that's really a gourd and not a nut? I don't think they dig the shea butter out of nuts like that. I thought they crushed the nuts, boiled them, cooled the fat which rose to the top and packed it into gourds.

17. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

That makes a lot of sense!

18. Kalne

Kalne New Member

19. Truly

Truly New Member

I hope you're right cuz this whole thing has me a bit embarrassed :blush2

It's definitely some type of plant material. I've never seen a gourd like that, but is sure could be.

kidsngarden, I've never seen oil mold, but this is unrefined butter. It's just on the outside in places. Like i said, a lot like the mold you find on cheese that's been in the fridge for a while; just on the surface.