She battled masitits once, and now what?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by [email protected], Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I have an older kinder doe, a real sweety. She's about 7 or 8 now. She's had some mastitis problems in the past. I don't know what kind, as I couldn't find any testing info back then and didn't know much about treating mastitis cases with antibiotics that worked. (Neither did the vets we consulted, since their treatments didn't work either.)

I'll give some background on her first. The first year we milked her, we had to remove a whole bunch of stuff from her udder that looked like rock salt. It was even hard, and we had to kind of pop it out of her teats. The milk was fine to drink that year. The end of the second lactation she began to get chunky milk on me so I fiddled around with "natural" treatments, and eventually dried her up. The next freshening it was obvious that she had a problem, however I didn't know what to do so let her dry up without bothering to try and milk her.

So yesterday we bred her, and I figure that she will probably freshen with mastitis again. I don't need her milk. She is a brood doe, and our grandma goat, and will be here until we can't take care of her any longer. So I won't kill her if I don't need to. But I'm wondering if she should still have some kind of treatment for this. Should she be dry cowed now? Should I wait and do that when she freshens. Should I use other antibiotics? Should she have lysign? Or will she be o.k. if we don't milk her? Or should I milk and treat her?

I would be good for us to get some ideas on how to deal with this, and what to expect from treatments. Do you have any suggestions, or have you dealt with this kind of thing before?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would probally get the mastitis treatment from the vet considering this is ongoing. Lysine{spelling ?} will not hurt . Boost her with bo-se {at the right time}and vit b along the way . As soon as she freshens send a sample off and have it cultured and a antibiotic sensitivity test done to see what will work.

Patty

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would treat her. She didn't freshen with mastitis, she dried with it the previous year. Never 'just' dry them up...well you know that now. Always treat mastitis then dry cow them as you dry them, redoing it at 100 days pregnant if they had a longer dry period than that.

Can you get 100mg tetracycline from your vet? Can you afford to get Pirsue? (most of the time you have to purchase the whole case). Vicki

4. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

I can try and get some stuff from the vet. If you tell me what to get exactly. He's kind of a "penicillan, and if it don't work then shoot 'em," kind of guy.

What's pirsue and how much is it usually?

5. NubianSoaps.com

It's around $40 to $60 for the case. 100mg gentamycin (it's not cleared for anything but calves, maybe if you tell him you want to use it on a dry pet, that you don't drink the milk out of?

Pirsue is an excellent dry of infusion, if you have any lopsided udders or anyone else with any problems it is a great infusion to use at 100 days bred.

Since dry, on her I would use tommorrow in which I have put 2cc of the gentamycin into each infusion...also put her on 3cc per 100 pounds of the 100mg gentamycin for 5 days. On the other side give her 3cc per 50 pounds of any 200,000 unit pennicillin for 10 days. Get her bred and then use the Pirsue at 100 days bred.

This protocal is not for does in milk, using it as an infusion you can read the milkwithdrawal on goatkeeping 101....but systemically used, it takes her off the milk or meat string until next year.

Even using the gent as an infusion I dump the milk, not even feeding it to kids, dogs or chickens.

Also to get the gent into the infusion you obviously have to pump some of the infusion out and then pull back the infusion syringe.

I would do this because she is dry. Vicki

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Well, I went heat happy yesterday and bred her. So she is bred already. So does that change when I can treat her? O.k. need to ask a few clarifiers so I don't mess this up.

We use the pursue as an infusion at 100 days bred. I get the pursue from the vet.

You said: " also put her on 3cc per 100 pounds of the 100mg gentamycin for 5 days. On the other side give her 3cc per 50 pounds of any 200,000 unit pennicillin for 10 days."

Do I also get the gentamyacin from the vet or can I get it myself? She doesn't weigh 100 pounds. Maybe 90? Do we also do that now, or wait until??? And the penicillin is over the counter or is that a special script too?

I will most likely never use her for human milk again. I am so leary from using a goat that has an on-going infection like this. I wasn't even going to breed her again, but I wanted two does kidding at the same time and they both came into heat together sooo....

Thanks for the help Vicki. I appreciate it very much. :D

Anything else I need to know about using these?

7. NubianSoaps.com

I would now wait until she is 30 days pregnant. Yes the Pirsue the vet will order as well as the gentamycin. You can pick up Tommorrow tubes at most feed stores or TSC, you just need two, also get the alcohol prep pads. You do this cleaner than you have ever done anything before. When you infuse you do not insert the tip, just hold it tightly againt the orifice. When you squirt it in it only does into the teat so hold the end of the teat, I use another alcohol prep pad, and then with your fingers squeegy the infusion up into the teat and up into the udder and massage really well. I put white glue on the end of the teat to keep the meds up. Start the shots. Then when 100 days pregnant give the Pirsue infusion exactly the same. Vicki

8. NubianSoaps.com

Jo, go to goatkeeping 101 and to the saanendoah.com drug thread and look up gentamycin for pregnancy issues. Vicki

9. Pirsue is NOT a dry cow treatment. Its a lacating cow treatment. Quartermaster is the Dry cow treatment.

Pirsue will only last in the aminal for about a week. As for quartermaster will last up to 2 months. A warning tho with Quartermaster, is that you need to get the milk tested if you ever want to drink the milk. It states right on the carton that dont use milk for atleast 60 from the infusion date. I have had cows that we used it on, and milk did not clear for upto 2 week after a 60 day dry period.

Ken in MO

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Ok, Ken....we use the Pirsue + Gent. as a dry treatment because the drug in Pirsue will penetrate the tissue in the udder. Meaning walled off Staph. Some of us even come back at 100 days after breeding and do it again on problem 1/2's. In a dry udder there has still been drug residue as much as 60 days from infusion. Mind you I'm talking about an un-milked udder.

There's only one other drug that will last this long...and I'm not posting it on an open forum. ;)
    Kaye

11. NubianSoaps.com

I know not only in my herd but in other herds, Pirsue at dry off has been remarkable, both on it's own but also with gent. I think the combo of the two simply, like Kaye said, penetrates the tissue like other infusions simply don't.

I have never used Quartermaster though Ken. Vicki

12. Quartermaster is the same drug...only twice as much as it. And most of the time only about a little higher than what you can get Pirsue for. Also, with dry cow treatments you can get them most of the time per tube instead of buying a whole box. Since it has double the shelf life as lacating cow fomulas

Ken in MO

13. NubianSoaps.com

Ken do you know off hand what the drug is? Also is there a difference is just oil in the carrier, like today and tommorrow? Vicki

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Quartermaster: penicillin-dihydrostreptomycin in oil

Pirsue: Pirlimycin Hydrochloride

Sara

15. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Sara, I was pretty sure of the Quartermaster ingred, from years past, but had no idea on the Pirsue. Vicki