I have an older kinder doe, a real sweety. She's about 7 or 8 now. She's had some mastitis problems in the past. I don't know what kind, as I couldn't find any testing info back then and didn't know much about treating mastitis cases with antibiotics that worked. (Neither did the vets we consulted, since their treatments didn't work either.) I'll give some background on her first. The first year we milked her, we had to remove a whole bunch of stuff from her udder that looked like rock salt. It was even hard, and we had to kind of pop it out of her teats. The milk was fine to drink that year. The end of the second lactation she began to get chunky milk on me so I fiddled around with "natural" treatments, and eventually dried her up. The next freshening it was obvious that she had a problem, however I didn't know what to do so let her dry up without bothering to try and milk her. So yesterday we bred her, and I figure that she will probably freshen with mastitis again. I don't need her milk. She is a brood doe, and our grandma goat, and will be here until we can't take care of her any longer. So I won't kill her if I don't need to. But I'm wondering if she should still have some kind of treatment for this. Should she be dry cowed now? Should I wait and do that when she freshens. Should I use other antibiotics? Should she have lysign? Or will she be o.k. if we don't milk her? Or should I milk and treat her? I would be good for us to get some ideas on how to deal with this, and what to expect from treatments. Do you have any suggestions, or have you dealt with this kind of thing before?