Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made two batches of soap two nights ago. I unmolded them last night, after 24 hours, and one of the batches started crumbling, especially on the top. I oven processed them, but not for more than an hour because it got so late and I had to go to bed. The temp. was around 150. I'm trying to make all veggie soaps. I did the walmart recipe, but subbed coconut for the lard, and safflower for the coconut percentage. And I used the sunflower it called for. I did a batch a few days ago and it turned out okay, so I am thinking I may have added too much lye for my oils? The batch that turned out okay is still not as nice as my lard bars. It's a little flaky around the edges. I've gotten some new oils. I've got a 50 gallon bucket of coconut, plus palm oil, pomace olive oil and castile oil. Does anyone have a recipe for those oils that will turn out as nice as (or better than) the walmart recipe?
Thanks.
Anita

ps. A couple of weeks ago I was worried I couldn't sell those lard bars, but lo and behold, I've sold nearly all I made, and three scents are now out of stock! I even have two locations wanting to carry my soap!

·
Registered
236 Posts
When you subbed the oils in the walmart recipe did you recalculate your lye amount? Always run a new or modified recipe through the calculator at thesage. Crumbling soap does sound like too much lye.

·
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did run the recipe through the lye calculator the first time I changed it. I wrote it down and then just repeated it. I'm thinking I may have added too much lye by accident. I weigh my milk cubes out in a large glass measuring cup with a pour spout, and then zero my scale and add the necessary lye. A mistake could have been made especially as I had to open a new lye container...I may have re-zeroed the scale. It was late and I was very tired. I was just trying to figure out what might have caused the crumbling before I made another batch. I'm working on soap calc. right now trying to figure out a new recipe with the oils I have. It seems more complicated to me than it probably is. I have people waiting for soap that I've sold out of....
Thanks,
Anita

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
How much safflower are you using? And coconut does tend to turn the soap flaky (or crumbly) with that home processed safflower Anita. I don't even use it when I'm doing an all vege. Try a batch without the coconut and you'll like it. It could be that you added too much coconut. Tammy

G

·
I'm going to have to agree that the soap was lye heavy. I have soaped 100% coconut and had no problems with flaking or crumbling.

Christy

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think Anita is using the homeprocessed safflower which behaves alittle differently with coconut and palm kernel. It really does make an extremely hard bar that will crumble. I had to cut out coconut or palm kernel from my homeprocessed safflower soaps because of it. But maybe it was because of the lye. I just know what happens with mine and the homeprocessed safflower. Tammy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts