seperating soap

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Anita Martin, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I made two batches of soap two nights ago. I unmolded them last night, after 24 hours, and one of the batches started crumbling, especially on the top. I oven processed them, but not for more than an hour because it got so late and I had to go to bed. The temp. was around 150. I'm trying to make all veggie soaps. I did the walmart recipe, but subbed coconut for the lard, and safflower for the coconut percentage. And I used the sunflower it called for. I did a batch a few days ago and it turned out okay, so I am thinking I may have added too much lye for my oils? The batch that turned out okay is still not as nice as my lard bars. It's a little flaky around the edges. I've gotten some new oils. I've got a 50 gallon bucket of coconut, plus palm oil, pomace olive oil and castile oil. Does anyone have a recipe for those oils that will turn out as nice as (or better than) the walmart recipe?
    Thanks.
    Anita

ps. A couple of weeks ago I was worried I couldn't sell those lard bars, but lo and behold, I've sold nearly all I made, and three scents are now out of stock! I even have two locations wanting to carry my soap!

2. Whitney

Whitney Member

When you subbed the oils in the walmart recipe did you recalculate your lye amount? Always run a new or modified recipe through the calculator at thesage. Crumbling soap does sound like too much lye.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I did run the recipe through the lye calculator the first time I changed it. I wrote it down and then just repeated it. I'm thinking I may have added too much lye by accident. I weigh my milk cubes out in a large glass measuring cup with a pour spout, and then zero my scale and add the necessary lye. A mistake could have been made especially as I had to open a new lye container...I may have re-zeroed the scale. It was late and I was very tired. I was just trying to figure out what might have caused the crumbling before I made another batch. I'm working on soap calc. right now trying to figure out a new recipe with the oils I have. It seems more complicated to me than it probably is. I have people waiting for soap that I've sold out of....
    Thanks,
    Anita

4. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

How much safflower are you using? And coconut does tend to turn the soap flaky (or crumbly) with that home processed safflower Anita. I don't even use it when I'm doing an all vege. Try a batch without the coconut and you'll like it. It could be that you added too much coconut. Tammy

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'm going to have to agree that the soap was lye heavy. I have soaped 100% coconut and had no problems with flaking or crumbling.

Christy

6. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I think Anita is using the homeprocessed safflower which behaves alittle differently with coconut and palm kernel. It really does make an extremely hard bar that will crumble. I had to cut out coconut or palm kernel from my homeprocessed safflower soaps because of it. But maybe it was because of the lye. I just know what happens with mine and the homeprocessed safflower. Tammy