Seperating Dam from kid ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Nov 23, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I have a really good opportunity to breed to a buck that I wold love to own. Here's the catch....I would need to take my doe to him and since she has been a silent heater this year and not yet breed, I was going to pen breed (just her and the buck)...she has a May kid with her still and of course the kid would not go into the pen with her and, I actually wanted to leave her kid here at home. Question, how long can the Dam and kid be seperated and still reunite?

If this is just a bad idea all together, feel free to say so...

Thanks,

Paula

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

?? The kid is 6 months old...plenty old enough to wean. Would be a perfect time to accomplish this. Course, when you put them back together...chances are the kid is going to try to nurse.
    Kaye

3. chewie

chewie New Member

i've weaned my may doeling twice now--and am certain if i put her in with mom again, i'd be weaning yet again. the others tho weaned fairly quick, no 'relapse'.

4. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

If it were me.... I would take the doe to be bred. We bought our wethers when they were 4 months old.. so at 6 months old the kid should be fine.

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I know she is good to wean, as I normally wean at 16 weeks, But....she will be the only kid with out a Dam on the property, I am probably overthinking this but am worried that her Dam will not take her back if gone to long and that the older does will not be with her either....so, how many days can they usually be seperated and still remember who's who?

Thanks so much,

Paula

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

When I weaned mine this year I ket them separate for 4 almost 5 mths and when I let the little girls back it they knew who their mother was...went straight to them but mom was dry...

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks, I think a week or two will be a walk in the field for them....perfect!

Paula