Semen Tanks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Aja-Sammati, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I have never AI'd, but I have watched a film on it, and watched someone do it once. I was told one thing that no one is mentioning. When you AI, do it in an area that has a regular light and not a flourescent. I was told the flourescent light would kill the semen in the straw while you were handling it. Ok all you experienced AI'rs, is this true?

Sheryl

2. Its true to a point. You want to keep the semen in dark as long as you can. I have a VERY off the wall technique when AI'ing. I pull the semen out of the tank...I dont thaw...cut the tip off and then as walking to the animal...loading the gun as I go. That is TOTALLY against ALL textbooks. But, I have a high conception rate, so why change. SO most of the time, the semen is in the tank or in my fist as I am loading the gun. There is very little light that gets to the straw. I would think if you left it in the light for to long then yes...it will kill the semen. But, you have to remember you want it placed in her in less than 15 minutes after you take it out of the tank. Another place I dont follow the rules....if there are up to 3 in heat...I load all the guns at the same time...shove them in my jeans and pull out the one that I need for that animal.

Ken in MI

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

My needle gun stayed in the kit this year, and I went back to my All-2-Mate gun :) It really is what you get used to. The needle gun feels like poking someone with a chopstick taped to your finger <g> I just found it annoying.

I want to see the 20 straw canes! Way cool. I still have enough room in my tank that I would no way think about putting 2 bucks on one cane -- I'd definitely screw that up!

I already am planning breedings for this fall! I have some really GOOD stuff to mess with now -- it is soooo exciting!

Tracy

4. What is the All-2-Mate gun Tracy?

Ken in MI

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

ken, I think I'll stick to one doe at a time for the first few years. lol.
    "Paullette with tri-quest boers" got a number? if you know them very well could you contact them to give them a heads up I would be calling so they don't think I'm some crazy lady? (apologies to those on here that really are crazy)
    does anyone know if andrea forrest AI's? I kinda know her(bought a doe from her many, many years ago) and where she lives. If someone knows off the top of their head she doesn't it'll save me a call... <thinking outloud> unless I hold a AI class. she might want to come. hummm...
    tracy, if each cane holds two goblets and each goblet holds 5 straws couldn't you put one buck in one goblet and another buck in the other goblet? their, technically separated. and how many cane's can a tank hold? (I'm guessing it depends on size, but on average?) and when I was surfing the web looking a tanks I got a lot about cows -I'm thinking they're the same, right? anyway I was on a chat room, much like HT and they were talking about 1000's of straws they had in storage-in *if I understood right* one tank! how can this be?! can tanks hold that many canes/goblets?

-Melissa

6. Melissa,

I have a tank that holds just under 7500 Straws. But, you have to take into account that is full canes. The straws are the same size for cattle....goats....sheep and deer. So, you can just look at the number and that is the max that it will hold.

I dont think that Andrea does AI....but not really for sure on that one.

Is there a way you can get up to Jeff City the 28 and 29th of March? That is when there is a clinic up there at Lincoln, If you can not make both days just call and ask if you can watch a little...never hurts to ask.

With Paulette...dont have a number off the top of my head...but just google tri-quest boers....she did have a webpage. She has been in boers for years

Ken in MI

7. Melissa

Melissa New Member

why would you need a tank that holds that many?!
    I think I'll try holding a AI class down here, think I'll get better one-on-one time, but might also look into the class at Jeff city. does anyone have a copy of an AI'ing video that I could buy?

-Melissa

8. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Sara - I went to th BIO-Genics site and found their books, but which one? They have a couple that might qualify.
    Melissa - I won't be able to make a class, just too much on my plate right now, geting ready for the big move and all.

Ok now for the real kicker question . . . Uh, um can somebody explain the techniques used to um (look at the ground and kick the dirt) um . . . collect the semen? :blush2

I gotta go now,
    Anne :blush2

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

AI 101 - Introduction to Caprine Artificial Insemination

It's a great book... and is has a great price!

Honestly, this is beyond the scope of what a beginning AI technician needs to know. You are going to purchase frozen semen from a processor or possibly from someone who has their bucks collected. Chances are, it is highly unlikely that you'll be having your bucks collected... for the time being anyway :D I do collect my bucks every year and have done so for several years. However, we have a strong market for the semen. We also collect our bucks for insurance purposes which is what the vast majorty of breeders do when they have their bucks collected.

BIO-Genics comes to my farm and spends 2 days here. The collection involves a doe in heat, an AV and a lab to process the semen. :D

Wow, this topic has gone from AI tanks to buck collection. Good discussion!

Sara

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Ken, the All-2-Mate gun is on here http://www.biogenicsltd.com/guns.html
    It is a lot like a regular cow gun (but shorter :))

Melissa, yeah of course you *could* do it -- my problem would be keeping track of it all well enough. I like being able to inventory just by looking at the cane ID on top. I suppose if I fill my tank up, I'd have no choice, lol. I think my tank has a 1200 straw capacity -- I still have a ways to go to fill it all up. I'm inventorying mine today as a matter of fact, but I have somewhere in the range of 5-600 straws now.

Anne, all critters are collected in about the same way. For goats, they have a doe in heat in a headgate on the ground. The buck is lead up to her, allowed to jump on her, and his penis is deflected into an artificial vagina. It has warm water that surrounds a soft inside, which is lined with a "plastic bag" type of thing. They then run the goodies into the lab :)

I don't know that I've heard of anyone collecting goats with an electroejaculator, though I guess they could. (lower semen quality tho) That involves putting a metal probe in their anus and shocking them, which makes them ejaculate. Bulls really hate this :)

Tracy

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

There's a place in Iowa that collects bucks (bulls, etc.) using this method and I am aware of a few breeders who use their services. Tracy is correct about the lower quality semen. I wouldn't use this method for that reason. Well, and because they are shocked. :O

Have fun inventorying your tank Tracy. When you're done you are more than welcome to come and do my tanks. ;)

Sara

12. coso

coso Guest

Mellisa, I don't know if Andrea does AI or not. Sara Stewart does down around Purdy. I think they have a buck collection down there most years, or like you said we could crash Kayes place sometime :biggrin But it is a looong ways down there. I went and got a buck off of her last spring and it was about 4 1/2 hours for me be about 6 for you I imagine. Got rid of my tank because my supplier said he couldn't come out anymore because I wasn't buying any semen from them. Trying to talk Susie(ozark woodwyfe) on here to go in with me on another tank and keep it at her house. She's got Jerseys and has to store her semen elsewhere right now anyway. I still got to look at my gun. Had a VFD Board Meeting last night and didn't get around to it. Kaye put a lot of good info here https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=96.0 that I pasted to Word and kept about this. She said she could talk me through it on the phone but I'm scaaareeed !!!!!!!!!!! :shudder :biggrin

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I don't blame you, I'd be scared to call Kaye too. ;) man, 4.5-6 hour drive. Kaye would have to put us up for the night if we stayed to late. 'coarse, she'd make us pay our way by doing chores. :lol
    when you say "supplier" are you talking about the person who brings out the LN2? if so, couldn't you find someone else to fill it? or is this one of those things where I have to look at which brand of tank to get because I can only buy their semen?
    where's susie located? (susie, you can answer too) if she's in between us maybe we can all go togeather on a tank. (at least till we get better at doing the AI)
    let me know how you and susie feel about the AI class. maybe I can talk Emily into coming. (even though I know she has her own bucks!)

-Melissa

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Does "too much info" ring on here??? :rofl

Usually if large numbers of semen are "stored" somewhere....it's a bull stud. HUGE TANKS...tee,hee, to die for SARA!

Laughing...I've heard the "don't expose the semen to UV light"...but ya' know, if it's exposed to light- it's also exposed to cold...You want semen to go up in temp., not down! Water thaw is 94-96, so you take it out of 95 degree water and leave it out in UV light, the temp drops from the chill, so does UV light or Chill kill your semen? <giggling> chicken or egg thing.
    Mine comes from thaw water (95 degree) into heated gun (same temp as thaw water,no light exposure there) then under my arm (98.6) then into the doe (appx. 102) continually rising in temp from thaw to uterus. So, there's really no exposure to UV light. Even in doe, the semen is in the gun. That means you can AI anywhere. I prefer dark places because it makes my light source work better. ;)

Ken, you are hilarious!! And I'd MUCH rather have that semen under my arm, than in my britches...if I bump the plunger into something! :duh

Processing semen is sooooo cool!! I've actually watched it done a couple of times. Just fascinating to watch it go from 102 degrees down to nitrogen cold! I want to tag along with SSW going to Tx. later in the month to process semen from deer!!! WHINING...but I've got other obligations, darn it!! I REALLY wanted to go!

You guys better give me warning...I'll need to move the AI kit and microscope off the kitchen table! Which ever season it is, is determined by what's occuping the kitchen table at the time! :blush
    Kaye

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Hey Sara,
    You had many does that you "fall into" rather than pop??
    I did some does at a boer farm last month, set up with CIDRs, I timed them down to the hr. to breed! Timed them for between 11am and 1pm... ;)no lost sleep! Worked great...only two does "popped" the rest were wide open! Reason I mark my gun to speculum. I knew exactly where that tip was. Now, IF I COULD just get my Toggs to cooperate that well!
    Kaye

16. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Anybody use or have seen in use, those French Speculums that Bio-Genics sell?

17. coso

coso Guest

Melissa, I'm not scared of Kaye :crazy Just scared of AIing over the phone. Susie only lives about 6 miles from me. The guy that come to my farm and filled my tank is the only one doing it in my area. I could go get it refilled myself if I had too, but that would be a pain. Susie already has Jersey semen in someone elses tank so they would come to her house and fill it, if I could talk her into it :/ :biggrin

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Whew, I thought I was getting a bum wrap...I'm REALLY a sweet person? :really

I'm old fashion on my speculums...I use glass. LOL...favorite was sold by Magnum Semen Works...tell ya' how old that thing is?? :rofl
    Kaye

19. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Yea, but with my luck, I'd have to replace glass speculums every year!!! I had an Alpine that threw a fit this year, kicked like a mule, just about the time I finished AI'ing her, everything flew into the air, and she broke one of my Butyl speculums (the ones that are not supposed to break), light source survived. Crazy goat settled anyway!!!!

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Yeah, mine has been in some precarious situations, but I've always managed to save it!! With the offender getting a royal chewing...like this speculum is worth more than you'll ever be worth...or YOU COULD BE sausage.
    Kaye