Semen Tanks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Aja-Sammati, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:mad Dang it...Geoff had some of those 20 straw canes and I never thought about him using it for my own bucks! Gosh darn it! Would have saved quite a bit of space. NOTE TO SELF.....
    Kaye

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

aren't you so glad you started helping me? :crazy .thank you so much for explaining this. I get confused easily
    anyone else care to help Kaye with me? :help

-Melissa

3. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but . . .

Ladies this is fascinating. (sp.) I am very interested in learning how, and have done some asking around and I have been told that the best place to take instruction is at ADGA Convention. I missed it in October, does anyone know where it is going to be in '08? Or can any of you ladies recommend a school other than at Convention? What a great whay to improve your herd - such a great choice of bucks. And a great way to get your buck involved with the sire development plan and no exposure to disease.

TIA,
    Anne

4. Odeon

Odeon New Member

The 2008 ADGA Convention is in Rhonert Park, California (Near Santa Rosa). Most processors offer classes. You could contact them to see if any are scheduled in your area.

Ken in Idaho.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

In all honesty, you really don't need to take a class to be successful at AI. I learned with an AI gun in one hand and the old Magnum book in the other. ;) My success rate is over 90%.

BIO-Genics publishes a wonderful AI book that really tells you everything you need to know.

Sara

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

hay Anne, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who wants to learn AI. unfortunately, I think I need to *see* how it's done. I got all my AI stuff out last night and got brave enough to actually open the packages of sheaths and needles to see how they fit on my french gun (never really understood that), and was reading the "how-to" flier they (superior semen works) sent. well, I get the placing of the sheath over the gun but I read that the semen straw (which I've never seen one) then goes into the gun *then* insert the needle. why? wont the needle get pushed out when you "inject" the semen? or should the needle go in first? what's the point of the needle? I'm thinking I have a lot of homework before this fall. anybody want to let me practice on their doe?

-Melissa

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Awww...Geez, Melissa, I forgot your from Mo.~the show-me state. :p

You know, if you are ever in Southern Ark. you COULD just stop by my house and get a private lesson. Course, a doe in heat would be a problem...but even a closed cervix looks quite a bit like an in heat cervix, except for the opening,color and mucous.??
    You could contact Superior Semen Works...who now reside in Tn. or Bio-genics (who have a listing of where they will be a year in advance on their website) or get with me next fall when I start again. Or Lelia Graystone, in your area. I believe she does some AI or did.
    Now, to answer your highlighted questions:

<<same buck, right?>>- yes, unless you are really good at keeping records, don't put more than 1 buck per cane. I do now, but no way would I, when I started out. YOU HAVE TO KEEP ACCURATE TANK CHARTS and use big notes to self!
    <<let them thaw?>>- yes or even raise the temp from the inside of tank neck.
    <<like a big ice cooler?>> - I use a small insulin shipper from a Dr.'s office. 17"long x 11" wide (or in your case...a beer cooler. :lol)
    <<the big family size or something like canned veggies? or similar object, taped to a wire wire hanger? >>-a small aluminum can that will fit easily into the neck of your tank...and yes, a wire coat hanger.
    <<the box is at this point empty. what are you covering >> enough nitrogen to cover two canes adequately. I tilt my box so I'm working in the very edge of one side. Usually 2 scoops of nitrogen.
    <giving the customer one of your goblets? can you buy these separately?> You WILL have empty canes & goblets...never throw them away. And yes, you can buy these from AI suppliers. I keep a couple of empties in my tank and also in my AI kit...just for this.
    <<one back in your own tank and the other in the shipper tank/customers tank and pour your LN2 back into your tank.>>YES.

Chances of you re-caning for several years...slim to none, just stick with learning AI properly.
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Melissa, I am exactly like you. I want to not only know how, but watch someone put semen in and out of their tank, everything. Remember I went to the vet the first time I put in a CIDR :) Vicki

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Vicki, you are more than welcome to come to Minnesota for a visit. I'll even throw in a free AI lesson. :D After the doe is successfully AI'd we'll make soap. ;)

Sara

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Well...I can't promise soap making...but you're more than welcome here!
    If *someone* hadn't messed up getting semen....you'd already know all this and I would have gotten a couple days vacation at your place. ;)
    Kaye

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Without a straw to seat the needle in...you just wasted a sheath.
    With the needle gun- see the copper ring at the opening?...it's grooved because Step 1. when you put your straw of semen in the gun, and then expand the straw by Step 2. placing the needle in it,( it takes quite a bit of force to get the needle seated in the straw of semen) then Step 3. place the sheath over the gun...when you twist the sheath onto the gun, it tightens down on the copper ring holding the straw of semen and needle in place. No, it shouldn't push anything but semen out...uh, unless you don't get the sheath tight enough.
    Kaye

12. coso

coso Guest

Okay, I gotta go home and see if I can figure out what the heck you are talking about Kaye. I am in the same boat as Mellisa. Got the gun and the fixings, but never have done anything with them.

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It's really much easier than it sounds. :D

When I bought my needle gun from BIO-Genics, they included empty straws to practice loading the gun so I knew what to do when the time came. Oh, and I don't recommend the needle gun for beginners. There are much better guns on the market. I only use my needle gun in certain situations; not on a regular basis.

Sara

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sara,
    We finally disagree on something. I LOVE my needle gun! I don't use anything else. BUT...then again, I had a good teacher who warned over and over about too much pressure. ;) That needle gun is soooo much easier for me to get into the cervix and work through rings.
    I also got a handful of blank straws to practice loading the gun, before I used it. And yes, I did make a few mistakes before I got it right and had expensive semen in the gun. :sigh
    Kaye

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I knew we'd disagree eventually! :rofl

I used to be a die hard needle gun fan UNTIL I got my new gun. It was only a prototype when Teresa gave it to me to try but it is now mainstream. :D The gun I use is the BIO Hi-Bred gun with the insert sheaths. Awesome, awesome gun. It is now my main gun and I only use the needle gun on hard to breed does. (I did use the needle gun on a LaMancha this year when I couldn't easily maneuver through the rings - she settled :D) I find the Hi-Bred gun is better for feeling the 'pop' through the rings.

For experienced AI technicians the needle gun is great but I wouldn't recommend it to someone new at AI. I personally know of a breeding where the needle actually came loose from the gun and ended up stuck inside the doe. They had to use one of those grabber things to fish it out. Not fun or safe for the doe.

I think so much of AI is personal preference and what you get used to. I bet we disagree on a light source too. ;)

Sara

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:O Oooooo...I gotta' go check this out! I went from the blunt continental to the needle gun...haven't seen this one yet. ;)
    I am not even going there. ;)
    Kaye

17. Odeon

Odeon New Member

My first gun was also the needle gun. I was 16 when Charlotte Painter, of Painter's Nubians tought me to AI. I used the needle gun for years. When we sold out in 97, I gave away my AI equipment, and ended up getting the Continental when I started AI ing again. I actually prefer it to the needle-gun. Guess it's all that you are used to! My friend uses the French, and swears by it, but I find it awkward.

Ken

18. Give me a continental(cow sized) anyday. I just can not get use to the little bitty goat sized ones. To me they are just in the way all the time, but was told I breed a goat just like a cow. I place my right hand on her back...then use my left to deposit the semen just like I do cattle.

I have used a needle gun a few times, just was not easy for me to AI her. I was afraid that she would buck and/or I would get PO and ran it in her. So, I just stay with the VERY blunt continental style.

Your in Pleasant Hope MO....lets see. A person that you might want to talk to in a FEW days is Dr. Helen Swartz at Lincoln Univ in Jefferson City. They are having a AI class up there I think the last of March. Its going to be with boers...but inside they are all kinda of the same. I think last year she charged like 50 bucks to get in the class. But, check with her and see.

Empty Straws to pratice on....go to CRI in Strafford and talk to them. They custom collect Bulls and I am sure they would be more than happy to find you some. If you dont mind using used straws...just to pratice the loading and that....call Dayln Wilson they are south of Pleasant Hope. He is a DVM in Springfield but milks about 70 cows. I am sure that he would have left overs around. If you are north of Pleasant Hope then call....Dean Dolh...he has Jerseys up by Halfway...I know he does ALOT of AI so I know he would have some laying around. That way you can just pratice loading the gun and all that.

ken in MI

19. Melissa

Melissa New Member

coso, we need to get an AI class going for this area. how many folks do you know that would be intrested. heck, I even get a cidr for one or more of my gals and have them in heat for the class. I think I can scrounge togeather a few folks from my neck of the woods. I'll go through the ADGA list of breeders for this area and give them a call/email. does anyone know how much it cost to have someone stop and give a class? I'll host it if we can get enough intrested.
    or we could just crash in on Kaye without warning some weekend. <big grin>
    Kaye the reason I used one of my sheaths is because I needed to see how the gun was supposed to be put togeather. this is my learning curve. yup, I'm definitely from the "show-me" state.

Ken, so goat straws are the same as cows?! well shoot, my aunt and uncle have a cow dairy (seen cows being AI numerous times) I'll just beg for a used straw from them (and hope they still look at me the same afterwards lol).

since the french needle gun is what I bought, well, got for Christmas preasant from hubby, it's what I'll learn and master. then, if I get better at it, I'll try branching out. I hope to one day be good enough that I could offer my servouses to other goat owners in this area and help improve the goats around here, even the boers (which I own and will be AI'ing).

20. Its not the "same" with goats as cattle...BUT REALLY close. I have never taken a course on goats...I have done cattle since I was about 10. After talking to Kaye she said "if you can do a cow....a goat is AWHOLE lot easier". Its really the truth...with a goat you get to see the hole you are trying to hit....cattle you are just using your hands.

One thing you might try that I saw in a cattle class to just get use to moving the gun. Make a fist and just work the gun though your fist. It kinda of really feels the same with the gun in an animal. Just something that you might want to do and see.

I know that Lincoln in Jeff City does AI with their boer herd, and Helen is great about letting people watch as they do it. As she says....its your tax money anyway. One other person that you might get in contact in MO is...Paullette with tri-quest boers. I know she did some AI a few years back....she is up the other side of Bolivar.

Ken in MI...but born and raised in MO