Semen Tanks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Aja-Sammati, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

What is the best way to go about choosing a tank? How do you decide what straw capacity you want?

I think this is the year we want to start AI-ing...

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I started with a good starter tank. The capacity is 540 straws. I still use the small tank when traveling.

When I started collecting my bucks and adding to my semen obsession :lol I added another tank... my new tank holds 4500 straws. I like the bigger tank because of the higher capacity and larger neck opening.

Remember just because the tank can hold X number of straws doesn't mean that's what it holds in the real world. If you have a cane with 2 straws on it you are 'wasting' 8 straws of space. Most people do not store only full canes of semen in their tank.

Go big enough but not too big when you start out. I like the tanks with the larger neck openings so that I can easily work in my tank.

And when you become addicted like Kaye and I... no tank is big enough so you'll maintain several. :laughcry

Sara

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Here is a good site.
    Look at the SC 20. It is on sale.
    http://sementank.com/sementanks.htm

The straws add up quickly. It can be as addicting as the goats themselves, especially when you get on the ADGA genetics site and start crossing your does with "possible" bucks.

Look at how long you can go between tank fills. Mine goes about 4 months before I have to fill it again.

I would not advise on getting your own vapor shipper. It really isn't necessary. They are really expensive and usually whomever you purchase your semen from has a shipper they will send the semen in to you, you swap it over into your tank and then send it back to them, usually on a call tag.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

(Where's that rolly eye thing?) That's the darn truth!!! Yeeeeep, got two now and another one sitting in the garage.

I also use my smaller tank for a travel tank. I'd LOVE to have the wide neck tank, if I had to buy over again. NEVER BUY a tank that has been sitting empty (not charged). So true about the 1 cane-1 straw. I've got several that belong to a friend and me, that have one straw of semen on a cane. Wish they'd decide to use those bucks so I can make more space! I did some clean out this year on a few bucks that I'd never use again...LOL, bought on a whim, that didn't pan out! ;)
    Kaye

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I actually sold (traded) my large mouth Taylor Wharton for a smaller neck Taylor Wharton with a 6 mo holding time. I got tired of filling it!

Back in the day I used to be a semen hoarder, when we sold out in 97 I sold/gave away/dumped countless straws of semen. Never again! When I collect my bucks, I only get the minimum (If I need more I can collect them again), and I only purchase what I can really use. Semen sitting in a tank for years, NEVER to be touched seems pointless to me. I had so much inventory at one time, that even if I AI'd every goat I owned, I still wouldn't have began to touch what I was keeping..

Not trying to upset those who do keep a large inventory.. to each their own...

Ken in Idaho

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I guess I am lucky here. My nitrogen guy fills my tanks every 6-7 weeks regardless of the actual hold time on my tanks. I don't leave the farm. I pay a flat rate per tank each year... doesn't matter what size tank either. :D

OMG, I could never just collect the minimum number of straws at collection. I'd be sold out before the first advertisement. ;) Besides, I always keep a minimum for myself that I keep for insurance and don't sell under any circumstance.

I don't consider myself a semen hoarder... just a REALLY smart buyer. I couldn't imagine if I hadn't bought some of the semen in my tank. ;)

Sara

7. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I helped someone AI a couple of times, but I didn't pay as much attention to the tank as I did the procedure...how hard is it to maneuver in a 2.18" neck?

This seems the right year to start my collection- we already have a list about 15 bucks deep we want to try, and the Convention will be only 3 hours from home. Perfect time to fill a tank ;)

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It's not terrible if you're just removing/adding semen for your own use. It becomes more difficult when your canisters are full. :D

If you plan to work a lot in your tank then I would go for a larger neck opening. For beginners the smaller neck opening is fine. Generally, the smaller the neck opening, the longer the hold time.

Sara

9. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

My tank has the narrower neck and I really like it. It does take a bit of maneuvering to get things where you need to go sometimes, but not bad. Mine is also on the refill every 6 week plan as it's being stored at the vet clinic. I have to make a decision soon whether I'm going to keep it or let it go tho' (have some Togg & Lamacha semen I'm storing for some people, but they're supposed to come get it (yeah right.....they were supposed to get it LAST year and never did).

Geesh, I actually need to get down to the Chicago area sometime and pick up some of the straws still being held at the processor's too. Maybe I'll give them a call and make a trip down there this weekend.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I've gotten quite good at working in the neck of my tank. I've got two long pair of the semen tweezers and work at the frost line. Yeah, it was a PITA learning to do it. I use a wooden clothes pin for my canister holder and (knock on wood) I've yet to drop a straw of semen.

My tanks are also on a route by Select Sires and they come here every 3 months and fill. Well...unless I call and request a fill. Wonderful to work with.
    Kaye

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

what do you all mean when you say "working" in your tank? don't you just open it to get straw out/put straw in. I heard that if you keep everything up to date on paper you don't have to have the tank open for very long to find the right straw/buck. I've got everything I think I need to start AI'ing except the tank and semen. what do the semen straws look like? do they just have the bucks information printed on the side? are the breeds color coded? (the last one was a joke)
    I've tried to go to a class, but the ones around here get cansled. the semen sisters asked if I wanted to host a class last year, if I did this would anyone else around here be interested in going? I live about 20 miles north of Springfield, MO straight down HWY 13. (Kaye, what am I getting into if/when I host a AI'ing party?!do I need to provided refreshments?)

-Melissa

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I sell a lot of semen so I spend a lot of time re-caning straws. I need a large neck opening to make it easier for me. I also need to be able to 'scoop' (I use a soap can on a wire hanger) nitrogen out of my tank to pour into my styrofoam transfer box so I can safely cane semen.

Sara

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

what do you mean "re-caning" straws? a different can? *lights popping off over head* Ahh canisters! why do you have to change canisters?

-Melissa

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Some straws are color coded...no joke! Alpine-Purple,Lamancha-Yellow,Oberhasli-Orange,Saanen-Blue,ND-White,Nubian-Red,Togg-Green, Sable-Grey. Some processors use clear straws for all breeds. The information on the buck is printed on the side.

Think plastic swizzle stick that you get to stir coffee with...except one end has cotton plug other has packed powder, semen in the middle. :lol

You better keep an up to date list...cause all you see is a code number on top of the cane that goes to the buck that's suppose to be in that cane.

Working in the tank means getting the right cane up enough to keep it at the frost line and get the staw of semen out.
    There's more to it...but I will continue later unless someone else wants to take over....it's my bed time and hubby needs the phone.
    Kaye

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol go ahead Sara...you opened that can of worms! I love my orange juice can on a wire and my little styrofoam box. ;)
    Kaye

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It's one of those instances where I gave too much information, huh? :laughcry

Go for it Kaye, you're better at explaining than I am. ;)

Sara

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

okay obviously I cant grasp how the tanks work. :blush I guess I was thinking along the lines of the Jurassic Park movie where he places the dino DNA in the little canister (yes I did figure out that the tanks are a little bigger) but I was thinking you pulled up the top, all the semen straws came up, you (quickly) pick up the one you wanted to use and then lower the whole thing back down in to the liquid nitrogen. :/I'm off to surf the web for how these things work. :help2

-Melissa

18. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin You tired too???
    Re caning straws=
    Someone wants to buy 5 straws of semen and you only have everything in 10 straw. Each goblet holds 5 straws of semen (I am not getting into the smaller straws), each cane holds two goblets. So, to take one goblet off the cane and not compromise the semen....you, 1st take a styrofoam box, an orange juice can or similar object, taped to a wire, put it into the neck of your semen tank down into the nitrogen, scoop out a can and pour it into the styrofoam box. enough to cover everything. Take another empty cane(before you freeze it put the bucks code on top of the cane- sharpie) and place it in the LN2 (or you can put a cane with an empty goblet in). Reach into the tank with your tweezers and remove the whole full cane QUICKLY and place it in the LN2...now you use your tweezers to work UNDER the LN2 and either remove the goblet and place it on the empty cane or you remove each straw from the goblet and place it inside the empty goblet. Then place the two canes in each of the tanks and pour your LN2 back into your tank.

Make any sense?
    Kaye

19. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl I spend all this time typing this out...and she runs off. Just my luck!
    Kaye

20. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I couldn't have said it better myself. :rofl

Last time I had collection I had quite a bit of my semen caned on 20 straw canes. Pretty cool and really helps with organization. However, lots of re-caning is involved when selling.

Sara