Semen straw ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Which end get dropped first into the water to warm it ? The white cotton or the red powder ?

My mind has gone blank....HELP

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

:biggrin Thanks

ai'd 3 tonight....fingers crossed.

Patty

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Are you putting it directly into the water? Can you do that. I thought Geoff told me to always put the straw in the side of the thaw cup that was capped on the bottom and the gun in the open side. Do you have a thaw jar with the themometer on it? If not, what are ya'll using?

5. Red powder? Crud. Here I thought I was ready to get serious about AIing.
    The straws for goats aren't like cattle straws? One solid red end (or whatever color the straw is) that gets clipped off and then the cotton on the other end is how the cow straws are.

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes, the straw goes into the water. How in the world are you thawing it? :) The closed portion of that thaw jar is a gun compartment. I think you have the two mixed up.

I use a thaw jar with a thermometer. Semen is thawed in water at a temp of 94-95 degrees.

Sara

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have a CITO electric thaw jar but it doesn't have a closed portion for the gun, the whole jar holds water, so what do I do now. I wrap the end with paper towel and stuff it in my arm pit, (thanks kaye).

Autumn

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have always wanted to try one of those electric thaw jars. Let me know how you like it Autumn.

Honestly, I don't use the gun compartment on my thaw jar. I AI in a heated area so all I do to slightly warm the gun it put it in a folded over heating pad set on low.

Sara

9. coso

coso Guest

Straw in the water here too. I remember Kaye telling me to flick the straw a little and make sure there was not LN in the ends of it cause when you dropped it in the water it would explode. I used the needle gun the other day and the thaw jar I used had a place for the gun but it wouldn't fit in it because of the flare at the end of the french needle gun. I just had my wife hold it under her arm pit until I was ready. We made a family affair out of it. My seven year old daughter got up at 7:00 Saturday morning wanting to know when we were going to breed the goats. I was anxious about doing my first ones but I let her look in the speculum on the second one. She is going to be my goat girl. :biggrin

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

:blush2 Oh no. I probably do have it mixed up. When I have used it, it thawed out just fine though. :p