Selling soap with lard in it?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Dawn, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi all! :hello
    Do any of you have trouble selling soap with lard in it? We are making soap with lard, cocoanut oil and olive oil and I want to start selling it and was wondering if anyone sells soap with lard in it? Or does the lard scare people away?
    Thanks
    Emily

2. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

All of my soap has lard in it.
    I have not had problems selling it yet. Most people don't even look at the ingredient list. If they ask how I make it, lard is one of the first things listed since it is a higher persentage than some of the oils.
    In this area there isn't a "fear" of lard. It is an agricultural area.
    I haven't had problems with my online sales either.

3. Dawn

Dawn New Member

OK thanks I will see if I have any trouble selling it....
    Thanks
    Emily

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have no trouble selling it either.. only once did someone comment on the fact that my soap had lard in it.. and they did not intend to buy, they just came over to my booth to see what I had.. they were also selling soap.. I like lard in soap
    But others have commented on the fact that they can't sell it.. once in a while you will come across a vegan that wants no animal products.
    Barbara

5. Truly

Truly New Member

I haven't even had ppl ask what's in my soap. Of course, I call it goat milk soap, but now questions past that.

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I go back and forth on this. I like my soaps made with lard. I think what I am going to do is make my FO soaps with lard and my herbal/eo soaps all veg oils since those most likely to care the most seem to prefer eos. That's my strategy for now. LOL

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I have a lot of people ask if animal fats are used. It's one of my selling points, that my soaps carry not animal fat. I DO make a soap with lard.. it's my Granny's Lye Soap... made the old fashion way.
    I had so many people ask me if I had 'that old fashioned lye soap' and I would explain that all I make is lye soap.. felt I was wasting my breath most of the time... I got that deer eyed look.
    Sooo.. I now make 'that old fashioned lye soap' and when they ask if I have some of that.. I say.. Yessir re ...I sure do.

8. susie

susie New Member

Personally I like lard soaps too, but plan on having veggy only soaps too. So far everyone loves the lard soap, but to appeal to a wider audience will offer Vegan soap.

Susie

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

most of my soaps have lard but there is always one that doesn't want any animal so for those yes there is vegan available

10. Dawn

Dawn New Member

OK well thanks everyone! I'm SO new to soap making!!!
    Thanks again!
    Emily

11. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Lard sells fine here too. Most of my EO bars are veggie, most of my FO bars are lard based.

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I am one of those who doesn't use anything with lard in it, so I look at the ingredient list on everything. I know about 100 families who are friends and they also don't/can't use lard.....so for us, no lard would be a selling point. ;)

13. Dawn

Dawn New Member

THANKS everyone for all the help!!! I will play with it and see how well it sells for me.
    Thanks!
    Emily