Selling Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dmeiermom, Jul 27, 2014.

1. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

Has anyone sold shares or rented their goats so that other families could enjoy fresh raw milk? I am looking for suggestions of how to do this. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ConnieM

ConnieM New Member

I have a lady milking once a week for the price of a bag of feed per month.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

You are in Texas. It is not technically legal to sell raw goat milk unless you have an inspected and certified dairy.

You can skirt the law and do it, but keep in mind that you are putting yourself at legal risk.

I recommend that you join this group. http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/become-a-member.html

They have herd share contracts on their website, I think.

4. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

You are close to me in Texas. I am just west of Fort Worth in Springtown. :)
    In Texas even herd shares aren't legal. Some folks do trade milk for things or advertise milk as being for pets or soap only, but it is also illegal. I just can't bring myself to try and sell it.

5. ConnieM

ConnieM New Member

Thanks, Rose, for the link. I looked at the Texas statute on the website. I see that cheeses are not listed.

I guess I shouldn't let my friend milk anymore.:(

6. lovinglife

lovinglife New Member

That just is so wrong! What is wrong with giving your friend some milk? What is wrong if she gives you feed? You aren't selling, you gave it away! If I have to be gone, I need someone to come take care of the animals, that includes milking, I always tell them to take it home...Is that wrong? I am in Idaho so it is easy to be legal to sell, but still, that just galls me. Is it legal to give it away?

7. nisthabhakti

nisthabhakti nisthabhakti

I have recently moved to a small unincorporated town. To my surprise, many of the locals are into bartering their goods and services. My organic milk is priced too high for most folks. We trade chores and barter services. This way I can get Reki and other healing work on my sick body and my friends can benifit from the goats milk medicine. Since the summer heat kicked in, I got a machine for making home made Ice creme. Now I also have popcicles to share with guests and barter with friends. The concept of goats milk ice creme is so foreign that no one asks any questions. I am getting my food handlers permit this week and I am going to give them a go at the local farmers market. Simply claiming its home made ice creme with three ingrediants, MILK, RAW SUGAR, ANd FRUIT. No one would ever imagine there would be Goat's milk in them!

8. EmyAcres

EmyAcres New Member

I have been told that it is illegal to even give milk away here in Georgia! And yes I agree! Whats wrong with giving your milk that you drink yourself to other people because you have enough to share? I don't think there is anything wrong with it but apartment lay the government does!:-(

9. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

10. nisthabhakti

nisthabhakti nisthabhakti

Stacey,Thanks for the advice and web link. I have been working to comply with the local health department, And have satisfied their requirement. With the helpful fact that my hubby started a vegetarian resteraunt back in the 80's. His X-wife still runs it. We all get along and help out during holidays and busy season. In turn, I get to use her kitchen, which is liscenced and approved for operation. I just didn't want to brag, about having access to such a perk, but I recognize that it did make me look risky! Also, the milk must be heated to melt the sugar, so techniquely neither the milk or sugar are raw any more. I appreciate the concern and advice!

11. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

I'm just wondering what my options are if I wanted to sell milk. No many in the great state of Texas. I agree with earlier posts...if I have too much milk I should be able to trade, barter or give away as I see fit.
    Texas also requires you to have a separate license for cheese and another license for frozen milk products. Gets rather expensive.

12. auntie2seven

auntie2seven New Member

Need goat milk near Abilene

I live in Abilene and am looking to buy some unpasteurized goat milk. Any one know of anyone close to Abilene?

Thanks!

13. pjt367

pjt367 Member

I was told by the health department in Austin that herd shares are a way around being a certified dairy. There is no law in Texas for or against herd shares. What makes a herd share work is everyone participating is a part owner of the herd. The contracts to make it legal are a bill of sale and an agistment agreement. As an owner you can handle your animals as you see fit. I am very careful with the language I use to be sure no can be confused about whether I sell milk. I do not sell milk I sell herd shares and you pay me to take care of your animals. Most of my shareholders come once a week and milk themselves. It is much cheaper that way. I figured out costs recently and my actual cost to pay someone (or me) to milk and do animal chores for someone comes out to $45 per gallon. I posted the details on my facebook page (City Farm Austin).

Good luck with your ventures.

Paula

14. milkmaidranch

milkmaidranch New Member

Debi, I'm in Stephenville and am thinking about doing herd or goat shares myself. Did join the Farm To Consumer Legal Defense Fund just last week. There is a book coming in the welcome packet about selling raw milk in Texas. There is also a woman down in Austin that sells it. If you look on Craigslist for Ft. Worth, I have an add about Goat Shares, just inquiring about it.
    Suzy

15. Nvstickbow

Nvstickbow New Member

I am in Nevada and getting ready for my does to kid in February. Trying to find what laws are pertinent here is proving to be a challenge.

I have seen people around here that clearly label their raw milk as "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION". Interestingly enough the milk is nicely packaged in clear glass bottles like the whole milk that I can buy in the grocery store. I don't know if this would actually get you around the laws or not. Kinda seems about like the grocery store getting in trouble for selling someone dog food after they choose to eat it. It may get around the law but I really just wish that people were allowed to consume what they see fit; there is nowhere that I can see a legitimate government authority to regulate that.

They are in I believe California and I don't think that there is a way to herd share or anything else.