Selling kids and cocci worm treatment

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

If kids go to their new home before they are 20 days old, should they get treated for cocci and worms at that time or still at 20 days? I know if they are older than that you would treat at moving, but before 20 days, have they even had a chance to pick up parasites and have them mature?

2. Leo

Leo New Member

I remember once I picked up a 2-3wk old kid, I wormed it when I got home and it pooped out a tapeworm pile as big as a baseball. :ick IHMO I would treat it.
    Megan

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If the kid was 20 days old I would treat. They can pick up cocci and worms as soon as they are ground that adults have pooped on. So you could have a full blown case of harmful cocci or blood sucking or condition ruining parasites by 21 days. Vicki

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

So not before 20 days? So, if I were to sell a 12 day old kid, should I advise the new owner to still treat at 20 days?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes, print out your own from birth to kidding, and send them home with enough to treat their first time with either corid or a sulfa. If you are using the deccox M than give them the same info on the cocci or sulfa, or send them home with deccox M (expensive). Also their first wormer dose. Vicki

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Send the proper amounts to use for the coccidia prevention. I say this because there are some in Ark. that don't coccidia treat because *someone* has spread the word that Sul-Met, Di-Methox, Corid and Decox doesn't work in Ark. ????? Hhhhmmmm...funny thing to me that there were several herds at ASF that had beautiful kids, well grown, and healthy.

If your buyers have the info. in front of them, on paper, with the proper amounts, then you've done all you can to get the kids treated after they leave your farm.
    Down here....the kids are started on Decoxx-M in their bottles and lambar at 4-5 days old and buyers are handed a sheet of paper with the proper amounts to use for each drug and how to use them.
    Kaye