self weaning?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rose, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

OK, I'm stumped. We just lost one (six week old) buckling to something or other. (long story, won't go into it)

BUT....

His half brother is 100% normal acting except he's acting like his bottle stinks. He eats browse by the pound, pees, poos, plays, cavorts, hollers when the phone rings, and is happy to be where ever we are working outside. Only took 8 ounces once and a few ounces two other times today.

Can a kid wean himself?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

How old is he??
    Yes, it is possible for kids to wean themselves but *usually* lack of interest in a bottle is signs of impending problems.
    Usually think pnuemonia type problems coming on with lack of appetite.
    I would be especially on the lookout since you just lost his brother.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

Same age. Born on July 17, which makes him just over six weeks.

Heading out to take his temperature.

4. Rose

Rose New Member

Temp = 102.8

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Thats awfully young to want to wean himself......temp is ok though. I guess I would just watch him *very* closely at this point.
    Has he been wormed for tapes and stomach worms yet and is he on something to prevent cocci? At six weeks he is young yet, but being a summer kid, I would certainly keep on top of a possible worm problem.
    Has his milk changed in any way lately?
    I just don't see a six week old kid weaning himself. Mine are a pain to wean at 5 months and still holler for milk.
    How is his appetite today?

6. Rose

Rose New Member

He's on the every three week cocci prevention, has had all his vaccinations. Had not been wormed yet. Has red eyelid insides.

He's much more normal this morning. Took 16 oz bottle first thing and browsed on a walk with us. Peed and Pooed.

Milk is half goat, half whole cow from the store. That's what we've used since we got them.

Things look OK today, but we'll be watching him very closely.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Good! :D
    I'd highly reccomend worming him for tapes with Valbazen at 1 cc per ten lbs. Tapes aren't bloodsuckers so will not show up as anemia. Tapes can be a real problem in kids.

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Will do Valbazen when he's finished with his next round of Corid. I hate to do all of it at once.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would do it now tape worms will kill

10. Rose

Rose New Member

Doing both the Corid and the Valbazen at the same time isn't too much of a stress on his little system?

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I second that. If he is dealing with tapes it will mess up the workings of his digestion, etc.
    We can't know, but it could have contributed to what killed his brother as well.

I usually Bo-Se, CD&T and worm my kids all at the same time.......I doubt both Corid and Valbazen are going to harm him.
    How much longer will you be doing the Corid??

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

give them both now but don't mix the meds together and no it won't hurt him or stress too much

13. Rose

Rose New Member

He's on day three out of five on the Corid.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Rose you know my mother used to tell me how I should do things with my children and I only listened when I wanted to. So do what ever I am just telling you what I would do, but this is not a situation to keep pondering or arguing abt. This is a case of your choice. Hoping for the best in the out come.
    Sondra

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tapes can grow to the point in kids that they fill their intestines and then push into their stomach, this can bring on enterotoxemia. It can also perferate their intestine and they die with this extremely high fever, diagnosed always with navel/joint ill, but the meds don't help. Kids whose tummies hurt don't drink milk, it makes their tummies hurt more.

Emily and Sondra are correct, use Valbazen on this kid and then after his Corid is over use a stomach wormer on him or run a fecal in to see if you are also having stomach worms in your herd.

Remember the tapes will come out alive, if you have hens let them clean this mess up. Vicki