Selenium ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I was at WalMart today and found some Selenium 200mcg. tablets ........ Can I give my doe's some of the pills ? If so ... how many ?
    It would be so easy just to put some tablets in her grain when I feed her on the stand :D

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You would have to figure out exactly how much to give and then how much Vit E also as you don't want to give selenium without Vit E That is what keeps selenium from poisoning your goats. So NO is my answer.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Don't mess around with selenium pills. Give BoSe; it is much more safe and effective.

Sara

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I'll bet giving your doe pills in her grain would be much trickier than you think...I've never been able to sneak anything in without my goats noticing. Injections on the other hand I find far easier.

5. Not to mention the fact that they have additives in them that your goats really don't need. Tammy

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Well, I trashed that idea and am sticking with the Horse vit.E & selenium crumbles from TS store.

7. I still haven't been able to find either of these here. When I ask about it I get looked at like I'm crazy. I did find a selenium and vit E oral paste which I bought. That is going to have to do for me right now. Do you think the oral route of administration will be a good? I'm sure I'm probably paying a lot more per dose than you are. Since my herd is small this tube wasn't drastically expensive and it will do me for a while.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok the problem with the paste or the crumbles is that it has to be given regularly to do any good thus making the BoSe much cheaper in the long run.

9. crocee

crocee New Member