selenium toxic amounts?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LLB101, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

Any *know* how to calculate the amount of oral selenium that would be toxic to a 50 lb doeling? Two teenage brats got into the Horseguard vitamins... not selenite, its the organic, more available form of selenium.

2. Sans Gene Goats

Sans Gene Goats New Member

3. fmg

fmg New Member

That sounds like a good idea on the selenium-binding minerals if they did get too much, but how would you know if they did or didn't?

I think I'd dose them up with a hefty dose or two of activated charcoal to try and minimize the absorption of it into their system...which would especially be helpful for if they just now got into it. Then, keep an eye out for symptoms of toxicity and perhaps then give them the binding minerals (preferably injectable if there is one) if they do start showing symptoms.

4. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

Thanks Dixie and Nancy for jumping in!

Dixie, awesome article links! Much appreciated!

Nancy, I did give them activated charcoal per quick call to vet, but everything I read says AC mostly only works with organophosphate based toxins. For example it doesn't work at all for cyanide from plants.

Brats seem ok this morning, the smaller one's more low key than usual, maybe she's not feeling great? I might try some of the sulfate cocktail on her if I'm confident of my sources and calculations and she remains a little off. The study on sulfates speeding recovery from Se poisoning seemed good. Need to smell her breath for garlic I guess LOL.

I'll wait a day. She might just also have bit of upset tummy from eating too much of the grain base of the vit/min, as they likely ate more than she's used to, and she is the daughter of the doe I jokingly call Piglet, as I think shop vacs devour stuff slower than that line and she likely ate more. :grin

So I'll just do normal support for overating (lower protein hay, baking soda, ProBios, general well-being and tummy herbal support like FreshStart etc...)

5. Sans Gene Goats

Sans Gene Goats New Member

you are so welcome Lacia ~ how are the little darlins doing?

6. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

They seem ok so far, the smaller one wasn't feeling so great the first day as I said. So they made it thru the acute part, now hopefully they will be ok for the longer part.

Thanks again, those were good links! I was too stressed to concentrate on sorting out what I could find at the time :)

They are darling 'lil brats! :biggrin Never underestimate what they can get into when they hit this "teenager" stage LOL. I swear they are learning to headbutt things into position to use as steps to reach things now... tools! :lol

7. LisaDiane

LisaDiane New Member

I have ACCIDENTALLY given too much Multimin 90 to my Nigerian Dwarf who is about to kid. She is approx 100 pounds, so according to directions she should have gotten 1 cc.... I intended to give 2 doses of .5cc each, but tonight I accidentally dosed her a third .5cc dose. Can someone tell me if this is a huge problem, and if there is anything I can do?

8. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

This is an old thread so not likely any of the others will post.
    Much will depend on how long between doses and what her mineral status is. Personally, I would call manufacturer 1st and depending on what they say then call a local veterinary school/university.