Sediment! What can I do :(

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Oct 22, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :biggrin
    I use a strainer from caprine supply, I buy the proper tuffy filters and always run the milk through when it's warm...............but after cooling I notice a layer of dust in the bottom of my milk container :nooo I wash udders and clean my machine and equipment after every milking, what can I do to get this supper fine dust out?? Can I double up filter pads?
    I'm going a bit :crazy over it!
    Vanessa

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Sorry, I don't think the dust is going through the filter. Either it is already in the container and you just need to sterilize right before filling it with milk or dust on the bottom of your strainer, milk going over the side of the strainer -that type of thing. Maybe a mastitis type thing with something going on in the milk that settles out as it cools... or maybe it's your head? :) (joking)

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's probably red blood cells. You can't filter them out. Australia?? You are in spring time right now??? You're does milking really heavy? It happens here in the spring when small capilaries (sp) break in the udder. Only way I know it, is the small amount of sediment in the bottom of glass milk jugs.
    It will correct it's self.
    Kaye

5. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Nope my containers are super clean, the strainer stays in the top of my container till securely in the house, it's very fine dirt like material, I do get pink milk occasionally but I usually have a pink layer on top/bottom, but it's a tiny little strip........this is very much looking like dust to me. I'm in Aus and it is spring but I would say anyone is breaking any production records (been milking around 2-3 months).......... I’m going to get some out and have a very close look tomorrow!
    Vanessa

6. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I've had super fine dust that doesn't filter out also. Usually when it was windy. I would refilter and that helped. But the best thing is to keep it from getting in there in the first place. Now I milk in an enclosed milk room and immediately cover the milk. And of course thoroughly wash and dry the udder and equipment right before use.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I'll bet it is blood sediment too now that Kaye mentioned it as this looks rather brownish /tan in the bottom of the jar.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Red Blood cells in the milk is not red...it is a dark colored...much like dirt. Then you have the "pink milk" where it's actually blood.

If your jars are clean,milk filters are clean and tighly woven, then it's got to be red blood cells.
    Kaye

9. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Well just great :( If it is red blood cells I can't get rid of it then! That sucks!
    Vanessa

10. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Could I be lacking a mineral? The girls have free choice mineral lick. Graze on okay pasture all day and get a 21% barley/oats/lupin protein mix in the bail (I have no access to alfalfa) and seaweed as well? Is there anymore I can do?
    Vanessa

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Ah ha! And here I would get on the girls to be more vigilant about cleanliness, and it was probably those red blood cells! My daughters thank you Kaye! :)

(Definitely a seasonal thing, now that I think about it.... learn something new every day!) Camille

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Doubt that it is caused by minerals what I would do is separated all the girls milk and see who is the culprit as I also doubt that it is all of them. Some one has some broken capillaries either just a case of too much milk or too hard of milking that particular doe.

13. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I'm milking 20 so separating milk is going to be a major pain, they are all milked in the same way and I'm very gentle with them.
    Vanessa

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I know it will be a pain but that is the only way your going to figure out who is doing what. Should only take one milking to test this.

15. haeema

haeema New Member

I had purchased a hair bonnet to keep my curlers in my hair at night. One day (after washing it of course :rofl ) I put it on top of my milk pail to keep flys away and it worked!