Scur removal question.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 4fromgoatilia, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Lindsey's yearling doe is real ornery( go figure) and will not hold still at all for me to takr off her scurs. One side is nice and thick, about 1/2" thick. the other two are smaller. I tried and tried but finally decide to wait til I get some help. Anyway my question is if I give her banamine will it help make her behave? Tammy

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We have a doeling with almost a 1/2 inch wide scur. If you leave them, they will eventually fall off on their own, usually. We used to cut hers, but stopped. It just fell off a couple days ago. Is leaving it be an option?

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

we banded one last year with a decent sized scur.. fell off in 24 hours! lol... couldn't believe it!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I hesitate to give banamine when not really needed and don't know as it would work in a calming effect anyway.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

They make a sheep calm. I have no personal knowledge of it, only overheard two people talking about it in Tractor Supply the other day because one man had a small little girl showing a goat that was a little wild. According to the guy that was giving the advice, he said that one tube treated 500 pounds so you could have it around for other times if need be. You might go find some and read on the label.

6. I wouldn't be worried about this scur other than fair is around the corner and although it is only about 1/2" wide it is over three inches high which is no good. I think the allowed height is 1" or 2". I will have to look it up but its too high. And she is awful ornery. I might just have to go buy a better set of pliers. Tammy

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Not suggesting, only asking - could you give goats benadryl? It calms dogs and small children. And my husband. ;)

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes you can give goats benadryl I do for running noses or a cough before I ever use antibiotics. Can't say it calms them any would have to make sure it is not the kind that you can drive with :)

Christine what are you talking abt in the tube??

Don't know as I would want to just use pliers to remove a scur this size you may end up with a big problem.

9. Thats what I thought too...vet said to just use pliars, but on that side I think I will take her in. She's the best Lindsey has and alot is riding on her for Lindseys herd. DH is balking at another vet bill. Like I told him this morning its better than losing her with all the investment Lindsey has in her. I can do the other side myself, two little scurs are not a problem. Thank you for all the info. Tammy