Scrapie

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Feb 26, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

It is pronounce "scr AY pee", right?

I have 5 dairy does (ADGA registered) kidding this year (will sell bucklings), two mature ewes and three lambs (growing for meat for our personal use).

Okay, what do I need to know about it?

Where do I go to learn more?

Do I need an ID number?

Is there testing involved?

Thanks!

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Don't know much about it, but I'm sure if you 'Googled' it you could find out a ton! :D

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Well, of course I did THAT! ;) I just don't know how it applies to ME personally! :) I have yet to see a dairy goat with an ear tag. And no testing? How would you know? I want to know what I need to do (hopefully nothing).

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

basically alot depends on transportation of the goats interstate or intra state and what ea state requires regarding health certificates. What I have found out is that those that are members of the scrapies program have the tags but they are just sent along with the papers and not put in the ears. Some states require this or health certificates for import in to their states or crossing their states. and each state is a little different on what is required.

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Sorry to be a dummy...."intra/inter state"...what does that mean...transporting across state lines?

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Not sure of the most recent rules and regs.. but as to our state, you are required to have a Scrapie ID... I applied for one years ago.. through the US department.. although now they have a state office.
    From what I understand, if you have registered animals that have tatoo's.. they do not need ear tags. If they are not trackable.. such as not tatoo's.. then they will need the ear tags.
    Our 4-H youth can not show a meat animal without one.
    The cattle that we buy from auction all have scrapie ID ear tags. (the tags are small metal, clip style)

When I attend shows.. in or out of state.. it is required to have our Premis Scrapie ID on the health certificate. Although most shows don't require it.. it is a state health requirement. (this is from MS State Health Dept and also required by my vet)
    I don't actually have a certificate.. or anything written with my Premis ID on it.. since it was in the early stages.. someone at the Federal level put my name in a book and gave me the ID.
    From what I understand also.. you can apply to become Scrapie Free.. but you will have to have a closed herd for 5 years. You can sell.. but if you buy.. it has to be from a Certified Scrapie Free herd.. and if not.. your years start over from when you bring something new in.
    I am not in that program... as 5 years is a long time. I think the idea was to have everyone get on the program.. but I know of only a few dairy goat people who are.

Thats about all I know about it.. maybe someone who is actually in the program can shed more light on this subject.

7. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Because you have breeding sheep you need to have your flock registered with the Scrapie program. They will assign a number unique to you (ours is IA1006, because we live in Iowa and were that numbered flock to be signed up). Each state has different requirements but generally all intact breeding sheep and at risk goats(co-mingled with sheep or show animals) need to be identified. For a goat to be identified, most states will allow registration tattoos, I haven't heard of on that doesn't. Call 1-866-USDA-TAG for more info and to sign up, it is easy and they are helpful with any questions.
    Tim

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Intrastate...meaning traveling within a state. Interstate is going out of the state. I don't tag my registered goats, only wethers or slaughter bucks that aren't tattooed. Basically they need permanent id whether it be tattoo/papers or ear tag.

9. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks! I will call the number and find out. So much to learn...all the time!

10. Susie,

In MO...with sheep, you need tags if you plan on selling or moving anything over 18 months of age. And any animal that goes to a show, has to have a tag in the ear.

Now, there are TWO programs....

One is the Scrapie Eradication Program...that is where you have to have a closed flock or get animals for other farms that are on the program. They will have a different tag in the ear. That is where you have to keep tract of all the animals that are born on the farm and tag numbers and all that jazz. Really, this program are for people that show and move animals all over the place. I am on this one since I sell rams and ewes across the country and at national sales. I just don't want to not be able to sell an animal since I am not on the program.

Then there is basically...an ID program. That is where you get tags with your farm number on them. Just in case there is something wrong they know where the animal has came from.

Its really simple...you call and ask for tags...they send them to you. Then you just have to keep records on the numbers for 5 years. You dont have to turn it into the government really. Just if they come a knocking then you have to have them.

Ken in MO

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Only reason I even bothered...I needed a premise ID # to show out of state! It started out being a scrapie ID..then switched to a Premise ID.

I also got two different sets of tags and two really nice taggers--free! Tax $$ at work. LOL...it also states that reg. goats with tattoos that match papers, don't have to have the tags.
    Kaye

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I sold two tattooed doelings out of state, I had to get a general health certificate from my vet that included the statement that my herd has been scrapie free. I'm told there is no test for scrapie that can be performed on live goats. My vet based his statement on the fact that he has been vetting my goats for several years and they have not had any symptoms of the disease. He could see by examination that the kids were healthy. I sent their scrapie tags with the buyer, but didn't put them in the ears. Kathie