scours in kid and cocci ?? **updated**

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, May 12, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK....

sold two bucklings yesterday to a couple fairly new to goats, but they have someone local to them where they got their does.

The older kid 6wks is scouring today... just got an email...

I am asking buyer for clarification on the scours...and recommended worming & probios.... but my question is...

normal with buying a kid for me would be to worm and start cocci treatment... but this kid was on day 4 of corid yesterday... so I sent home day 5 with them. At this point they need to wait 21 days before treating again correct?

He had no issues here and I sent home with them bottle, milk, nipple that he was used to... the feed he was on... and he had been in a fresh browse yard here....

I am assuming the stress of move....

2. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Re: scours in kid and cocci ??

I would assume stress if they haven't changed anything that they didn't tell you about. They didn't switch his milk did they?

I would give him some electrolytes, pepto and wait a day. I would bet his scours clear up soon. Also he could have eaten somthing you don't have at your house while browsing.

If it continues I would get a fecal done to make sure it isn't coccidia and to find out what's wrong.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Whats in the yard he is browsing on?

When I sell a kid that is in the middle of corrid or just finishing I do exactly what you did. He wouldn't be scouring from cocci them. Did he also get wormed?

You know they changed something, even the temp of the milk. You just have to talk to them and find out. It's why I do the contract I do, you really can't be responible, you can help all you can.

I also with new folks try to give them specific things, like 100 degree milk, 3 bottles 20 ounces each, in fact if I know they are doing grocery store milk I tell them 3 bottles 16 ounces only, never any more and then really push the idea of grain and hay much earlier. Vicki

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks ladies!

I am wondering about milk temp and made sure to say that again in the email...

and clarified this is cow plop vs milk shake...

he was wormed here a week ago... normally I also send home a syringe of wormer... just so I *know* they have it... but they had their own.. and I did tell her to worm both today.....

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

quick update! Thanks all!

Yeah! I figured it was *new home/move* related... but one is always *concerned*.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

that is good to hear