SCC on milk test

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I was reading (Agape Oaks) thread and noticed some talking about SCC. What would a normal SCC be on milk test this time of year? Mine normally range 2-4 but this last test was pulled on Thursday and ran on the following Tuesday and all the girls were a 5 but no one has any signs of mastitis, so would could it be?

Thanks
    Autumn

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

They're climbing. Are you only milking once a day? If twice a day, make sure you dry treat.

On your DHI-200 sheet is an explaination of SCC scores. Top left hand corner. Also be aware that those numbers beside the SCCS is in 1,000's. I would expect a doe this time of year with no teat end injury, sub clinical mastitis, healthy udder to be in 1-2 SCCS range with some 3's if they are HEAVY producers. Above that here and they get treated.
    Kaye

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Three are once a day and three are still 2xs a day.

How do I need to treat them? All my does will be dry treated after lactation always have. Nope no injuries and I didn't think I have sub clinical mastitis.

THanks
    Autumn

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Dry Treat them. Infuse a mastitis med. into the udder the last time you milk them, seal the teat.
    Go to Pam's thread and read how to dry treat. Two options.
    Kaye