Scalp wound

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., May 11, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

This is Genevieve posting for Madeleine.

Our Nubian doeling is bleeding from a gash in her scalp. At first I was hoping that it was just her horn bud breaking off, but there is too much blood for that to be the case.

Madeleine is holding her, and trying to stop the blood with paper towels. What else can we do to help her?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

try using blood stop or corn starch and get the bleeding stopped if that doesn't work then stiches or super glue may be in order. However horn buds can bleed like the dickens dripping down into their eyes and face, so find out exactly what the problem is first off.
    if an open gash then flush out with peroxide and supper glue most but not all so it will drain and start her on antibiotics pen g 3cc per 50 pounds subq every 12 hours for 2 shots, then as long as it stays clean, go to once a day for 7 days.

3. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Thanks, the blood finally stopped.

I think it is a gash, and not her horn bud.

I do have the Pen G. so I can give her that.

I'm such a sissy. I don't like blood at all!

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

and as a mom you know...head wounds bleed a LOT! :lol

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If is is just superficial and not a deep puncher I wouldn't do anything except spray with furall no antibiotics unless it gets infected. I also would separate her for a few days so she doesn't reinjure with other goats aggressive.

6. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

My poor kids know they have to take care of each other when there is blood involved. I'll be too busy passing out.

Now the poor little girl is maaahhhing at us, and it sounds like she is losing her voice.

I'm not going to be able to sleep at all tonight, I'm so worried about her.

I'd bring her in the house, but I think she'd rather be with her brother in the barn.

7. Katarina

Katarina New Member

me too! (this is LeeAnne here, under Katie's ID) K swings into action when there is blood because I am hyperventilating.

And me a midwife to boot! :lol

8. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Isn't that funny, we are the same way.

There is a reason Madeleine was stopping the blood, and I was in the house posting about it.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't have too much problem with the goats but boy is it terrible if one of my kids or grandkids. If I was alone I did just fine but if hubby was there I would fall apart and he had to take care of it.:)

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol You guys aren't going to like hearing what I have to type. BUT....the wound needs to be shaved around it to keep it clean and get the hair out. When it starts to heal it may seep serum and FLIES love that! Having to deal with maggots in a wound is NOT pretty. GAG! I hate maggots! Several fly eggs in hair and you soon have to shave it anyway to get the maggots out.

Shave it, check if it needs stitched or glued or stapled, clean it with betadine, and then spray it with a dry powder or Aluma-spray. She only needs antibiotics if it gets infected.

Sorrryyyyy....but it needs to be done.
    Kaye

11. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Can we shave it in the morning?

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep, it will be a little harder with the dried blood...but main objective is to get the hair away from the wound. It may bleed a little but not like the initial cut. The tissue and vessels will have dried and sealed by then.
    Kaye

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How is she Madeleine?

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And if this type of thing freaks you out than get that stapler thingy. It is cool! It's got to be in jeffers or qc supply. Vicki

15. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Pipestone Veterinary Supply has the Wound Clips & Forceps. www.pipevet.com or 1/800/658-2523