scabs? pic added

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Nov 25, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

7 month old dam raised doeling, only one in the barn with this. I was playing with the girls today and noticed 2 crusty raised spots...brought her over to the stand and went to look at them, the scabs just fell off with all the hair attached...no pus, just the pink skin underneath. They are on her back, one is actually on her dorsal the other a few inches away?
    [​IMG]

This is what was under the scab when it fell off...I washed it with a iodine solution before taking the pic.
    [​IMG]

This is the scabs that came off with the hair attached.

Paula

2. FRW

FRW New Member

Re: scabs?

They aren't round like they could have been ring worms? You will have to have a light to detect it for sure.
    If so there is an over the counter topical out in the pharmacy I have heard from a friend with one inside cat that she said worked great.

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Re: scabs?

I am almost positive it is not ringworm.

P

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Looks like club lamb fungus. It's not your typical ring worm. It forms a thick crusty scab and leaves a spot (just like your pic depicts) when you remove the crust and hair. Unlike normal ring worm, you can actually see the crusts rising up the hair shafts.

I picked this up at a show somewhere and have been dealing with it in a couple of doelings. No one else has gotten it. I've been using Lamisil (just your OTC fungicide) to kill the fungus on the outer edges of the sore. It will still take up to 6 weeks for the hair to grow back. I applied it twice daily for about 3 days or until the crust quits forming over the sore. It will have a smooth skin texture to it when you've killed the fungus and then in time the hair will grow back.
    Kaye

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Uh, club lamb fungus is also really contagious to humans, so I really hope you washed your hands good!

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat I got it on my hand about 4 yrs. ago from a doeling picked up at a goat show in a previously sheep occupied sheep show barn.
    $580 later and being referred to a dermatologist, by my Dr., it was cured. The meds. alone for one month cost $380!
    SO....WASH YOUR HANDS!
    Kaye

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

:bang

I washed my hands but not as well as I should have after reading about it... :sigh

When researching it, I keep reading about wet areas....we have been super dry here...we are thrilled when we see rain...no dampness and the barn is very dry. However, we do show...

Thanks,

Paula

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Best way in the world to catch it! Especially in the fall when you're showing at county or state fairs and they use the same barns for goats/sheep. :really
    It just seems like every where, the dairy goats follow market sheep/goats. It can also be brought in from another farm.
    Sorry. Just treat it and go on. It's not life-threatening...just unsightly and contagious.
    Kaye

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

10. coso

coso Guest

I'm dealing with what looks like the same thing. I put Iodine on it, but I thought it was ringworm. It has the crusty stuff on the hide though. I had a doeling that did this about a month ago and I just put alchohol on it and the hair is grown back on her, but she just had a couple of places. Then the other day I had another doeling get spots like this all over. We put iodine on it and I had my wife get some Mocidil or something like that the other day, It's some kind of OTC anti-fungal women stuff. I had went back and did a search on the forum and Kaye had recommended that for ringworm. I guess the Lamisil is the same stuff?

11. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Ringworm is contagious to people too. Had it once, sure did itch. Both are a fungus, so treatment should be similar.
    One of those things. My goats usually get what your goat have after Mid-South Fair. I just thought it was ringworm.
    Iodine always cleared mine right up. I have had a stubborn case or two and one of the cream athletes foot (same type of fungus) meds always worked fine.
    Bleach works also.
    Years ago I had a doe get a bad case and the normal stuff did not work. Vet had me mix Captan powder with Vaseline on it daily. Worked like a charm.
    Only thing was I had to buy a bag of Captan, of which I only used very very little. It is made for fruit trees, if I remember right.
    Les

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I feel so much better now....when it comes to yucky stuff who wants to be the only one that has it...LOL...

Thanks so much everyone.

Paula

13. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Okay...just got in from barn chores and Dam is licking the sore spots on her kid.....is this an issue or just nature taking it's course?

P

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Put some iodine-not betadine, not strong enough- on it. She can't lick that off. Draw about a cc up in a syringe and drop it all over the sore and around the edges. It will penetrate down to the hair follicles and maybe Mom will leave it alone.
    Kaye

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Quick question Paula - did the part closest to the skin feel sticky - like a gummy bear part was stuck on it? I closed up shop last night and one of my does had a sticky patch on her, I scaped it off and a raw pink part was under the skin. I furalled it, but was wondering if this could be the same thing?

16. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Linda, Do you mean the part under the hair when it fell off? If yes, no it was crusty white'ish.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Paula

17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Reminds me of rain rot on horses.

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Rain scald on horses is a bacteria. Recommended treatment for that is iodine based shampoo and Penn-G. IODINE being the common denominator here.

I've also used bleach/water spray on horses with rain scald and had the same effect. No more scald. After spending several hrs. grooming the horse with a bot block to dislodge the effected hair follicles.
    Kaye