Sanatizing milk pails, jars...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jan 9, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I'd like to know how others sanatize their milking "equipment" (milk pail, strainer, jars). Is that what I call everything I use for handmilking? Seems to me "equipment" would be for a milking machine set-up. Anyway, I am curious to know what others are doing. Thank you.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1/4 cup clorox to gal of water. for the daily stuff

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You have to wash it with hot soapy water first so no milk residue is left, for any santizer or disenfectant to work. When hand milking I wash the bucket with hot soapy water, let drain. In the kitchen everything gets normally cleaned and is in the drain board...per cheese, things get boiled. Vicki

4. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We use a liquid dairy soap to wash and then spray everything down with a high-clor sanitizing spray. The spray is THE BEST. You buy as a powder and mix 1/4 tsp. to a quart of water. A bag of it lasts forever.

5. menagerie

menagerie New Member

i milk into a big stock pan. each morning i just run it full of water, throw in my strainer and jars for that day - then let it all come to a boil as i do my morning chores. let it air dry on the kitchen rack.
    i might over doing it a little? :/ but it works for me.

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I rinse everything with cool soapy water, and use a milkstone remover about once a week. then everything goes into the dishwasher. Before I use it, I swish bleach water around in everything and let air dry.

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

1. Cool water thorough rinse.
    2. Light scrub in warm water with dairy soap.
    3. Run through a high-temperature dishwasher.
    4. Rinse and invert on a rack to dry.
    5. Storage is not in the milking parlor, but in my cheesehouse, so no need to re-sanitize immediately before re-use.