Same thing?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 16, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Is fatty liver disease and Ketosis one and the same?

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

The reason I asked is because I was reading another post on another forum and the person refered to Fatty liver this way....

...Fatty liver, a.k.a. Ketosis.....

It gave me worries.

Glad to know they are not one and the same. I'll have to read up on them because I know very little to nothing about them.

Thanks.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Interesting. Thank you for the links.

5. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

I have been thinking about this link for a couple days. Since Cinnamon had ketosis this year, and I don't want a repeat of that, I've been thinking how I can prevent it. When I first got goats (and Cinnamon was my first) I had no clue what I was doing (I'm only a little better now, of course :) but then I was useless). I did have some guidance, but nobody close by to ask questions of. Anyway, I bought her when she was freshened and milked her for several months with no problems. I fed her what I'd been advised, etc. She did well. I sent her in the fall to be bred and when she came back, I thought she was pregnant. To make a long story short, she was not, and ended up being overweight. First, I didn't know to cut back on the grain when she was dry, and second, I fed her more than she should have gotten, thinking she was pregnant. By the time I figured out that she wasn't, she'd gained extra weight and started having foot problems.

Well, thankfully for all my goats, I have learned a lot in the past couple years. Now I know much more about how and what to feed, feet care, etc. But that doesn't mean that my original goats still do not have to deal with the mistakes I made in the past. Both Cinnamon and Spice, for example, have feet that are not great. Due primarily to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing, and I trimmed their feet wrong. I still work regularly to correct their feet as far as I am able.

Now with this latest round of problems with Cinnamon - the ketosis - I wonder if the mistake I made in letting her get overweight has caused her to have fatty liver disease, too. Since they can be linked, it is a possibility. Is there any test that can be done to find out if that's what it is? or is that something that can only be done on autopsy?

If indeed she does have fatty liver disease, will she develop ketosis each time she freshens? Is there anything I should be doing different in future pregnancies to help prevent it? or is it even preventable if she does have liver disease.

My poor girls have been through a lot as I have learned about proper care for goats. My more recent goats are benefitting from my increased knowledge, but I hate for the original two to suffer because of my past ignorance. I'm beating myself up, here, so bear with me.

If you can offer any advice so I can prevent future problems, I'd appreciate it.
    Kathy

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I would like to suggest you copy/paste your post on a new topic so many can see it, as I think you are asking some great questions. I know nothing of either Fatty Liver or Ketosis so can not help. I am learning too. Sorry.