Salty tasting milk ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, May 22, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have been milking my two milkers, one rejected her kids so i've been milking her 2 times per day since Feb. - good tasting milk, even newbies have tasted it and said it's yummy and sweet - her milk though i now use for feeding my 3 new kids that are about 1 1/2 months old so is pretty much tied up. My other doe, has twin doelings on her, so i only milk her once a day, and keep it in the fridge to add to bottles for the kids when i need to, or for cooking and coffee - but i've never tasted it straight - she is also my only 2nd freshner, but last year raised her doeling, and a couple calves, so i never had any milk for us from her then either.

So DH's boss wants to try goats milk ( he likes natural whole foods ), so i had some 2 day old milk in the fridge and wanted to taste it to make sure it was still fresh even though i figured i'd get new stuff anyways, but i'm glad ( well not my taste buds ) that i did taste it. It is from my 2nd freshner, 2 days old, handled correctly but raw. It had an icky salty taste - gross.

I have made a few changes to her feeding that i haven't with my other doe ( whom i milked this am, tasted - all good - and sent some with DH for his boss ), she was on a different feed mix then my other doe, as she is a good producer, and quite skinny, so i wanted to try something new with her and tried a costom sweet feed mix - didn't like it though, so am in the process of switching her back to my dry COB mix. Also, she has been the lucky one that i let out during the day to browse, she eats browse, but also unlike my other ladies ( or from what i hear other goats ) she really goes for and loves grass - so she eats a lot of grass too, i started letting her out 4-5 days ago, as stuff is just now really growing up here.

So what could some reasons to this taste be ??? Her milk looks fine, and no signs of mastitis. Thanks !

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

She probally has mastitis. get her milk checked.

Patty

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep that is what I would say also salty is usually a sign

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

ok, so here is a very newbie question, how do i check for mastitis ? Do i order some sort of a test, or can i call my vet and will i be able to have him help me out ?

5. drop a milk sample at your vet's or animal health lab.
    It cost 1.65 here.
    Becky

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

or send into La University the address is in Goat 101