Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Salt Bars again :)

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Meshale 
#1 ·
OK, my idea. I am thinking of pouring half a salt bar, and half a really moisturising, bubbly bar. Will the salt portion be too hard to cut by the time I can cut the soap part? If I pour the regular soap portion first at medium trace, could I swirl in the salt portion...is it liquid enough? What kinds of scents are you using with your salt bars? Vicki

#2 ·
I did a cucumber melon salt bar - and only once so take this for what it is worth...

I have been contemplating this myself. I think what I might do is do a high superfat and then only add half as much salt as the weight of oils so then I can swirl a bit. With the salt being the same amount as the oils I don't think I could have it swirled and more bubbles.

I'm not sure about misxing the two and cutting. Seems like that would be problematic as you anticipated with the cutting.

Bethany

#3 ·
I don't think it would work. I cut my salt bars from 1-3 hours from pouring, depending on the size of the log. If I wait too long they are crumbly at the corners. If I wait even long....forget cutting! LOL

It does pour liquid-y enough to do some swirling.

What about layering? You could pour the bottom as your regular soap. Let it set a day then add the salt top and cut soon after.

G
#7 ·
I have a blue I use that I soooo pretty, I use it to swirl in my Blue Water bar and I use it in my Sea Breeze bar in an in the pot swirl. Both are perfect for the color I want but I am wondering if it's going to be to dark enough for you. I also have a light pearl blue that I haven't soaped yet. I'll email you pictures tonight so you can see for yourself.

Sara

#11 ·
Why not do the super moisturizing half on the bottom, and the salt bar on the top? When I make clean layers, the bottom is set before I pour on the top. Hmmm- maybe I'll try this tonight- like I don't have enough to do with milk test, a 4H meeting, and getting up early for work tomorrow :lol

#17 ·
Bethany, thanks that was what I was hoping...tommorrow is the big day :)

Kathryn it is a bar that has the texture in it from salt, so it's great on exfoliating the skin if you put the bar on your skin, in the bubbles you can not feel the salt. Salt and Sugar scrubs are all the rage and think this is a way of sort of combineing this into soap. vicki

#19 ·
Yes, I agree with Christy, my salt bars where only slightly scrubby on the very outside when I first used them, then they were smooth.

I really want to try the Apres glow bar recipe, but modified. It's like a lotion bar with scrubbies in it you use 7-8 time in the shower. I think it woudl be easier than a salt or sugar scrub in a jar and the packaging would be cheaper!

Bethany

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.