Salt Bar pics

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by BasicLiving, Jan 16, 2008.

1. BasicLiving

BasicLiving New Member

After the recent posts on making salt bars, I decided to try my hand at it last weekend. I used the method described in the recipe section by lynpea (thank you!), and used 80% coconut, 10% shea butter, and 10% castor oil. Man, cutting it was not easy! After I cut the bars, I let them sit overnight and then went back and cleaned them up the best I could. Not the prettiest bars I've ever made, but the are really salty feeling and I think they'll be nice. Can't wait till they cure and I can try one. I hope to get a local spa that opened to start carrying them for me. Anyway, here's a picture I took of them. I don't know what is with the white lines that ended up on most of them. It may be extra salt in that area :shrug2

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have trouble making these bars cut smoothly and nicely?

Thanks,
    Penny

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Very nice. The key to good cuts is timing! It just takes trial and error to figure out what's gonna work. I have in my notes how long to wait for what size log. If I wait too long I get messed up corners or edges.

3. BasicLiving

BasicLiving New Member

Thanks for the nice comments. I think I should have waited longer to cut it. The bars were very gooey and kind of stuck to the cutter. When I came back the next day, I went over the lightly with the cutter and it kind of cleaned them up. I waited two hours before cutting - I may try at 2.5 or 3 next time.

I like the fact that you cut them shortly after pouring - I am always so excited to see how they turned out it kills me to wait until the next day!

4. lynpea

lynpea New Member

Yay for you! I never got really smooth sides until I got my TOG with the insert......now I make the SMOOTHEST salt bars. The sides look like glass.

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

how pretty. What did you do to get that pretty blue/green color? I assume there is no goats milk in these.

And Lynnpea, what the heck it TOG?

Thanks

Sheryl

6. beaglady

beaglady New Member

What a gorgeous color! What fragrance did you use?

7. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Very pretty soaps
    Barbara

8. lynpea

lynpea New Member

Thanks dblvon...yup it's a mold and I got te 12/24 one for Christmas. So far I LOVE it. The plexiglass dividers work wonderful and I am soooo hoping that this is going to improve my swirlability. It's fantastic for saltbars!

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I was wondering the same thing because that is what we call our history programme so I was wondering how you could use history to cut your salt bars. :D

10. BasicLiving

BasicLiving New Member

Glad you like it - the color is a mix of equal parts of the utramarine blue and the chromium hydroxide green that you sent me for Christmas! I used Snow Clouds from Lillian as the scent - it smells very fresh and clean and I thought it matched well.

Penny