Salivary cysts

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a goat with what I think are called salivary cysts. She has little chipmunk cheeks. Has had these forever from what I'm told and so far I haven't had any problems with her. She's just our family milker so the cheeks don't matter. However, I noticed this morning that one of them has doubled in size. Does anybody know anything about these? Do I need to empty it or just wait and see what happens?

2. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Not sure how to edit my post, but wanted to add that she's nubian if it makes any difference.

3. Truly

Truly New Member

Hi Kathryne, I don't have the experience to answer but I hope CC will be just fine. The last pics I saw of her she looked great, very healthy.

I don't remember ever seeing her "bubbles" grow while she was here.

I'm pretty sure Vicki can tell you how to draw out the fluid.

You may be able to reduce the size just by squishing it a bit, but wait for someone else to chime in.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she bred? My Birdy has salivary cysts, you can squish spit through them, they are always soft and fluid filled. When she is bred, OMG they are huge and go down over her jaw into her under jaw area. I can't finish her because of them, mostly because I would have to paste her health certificate to her side and explain every step..or maybe just announce it over the loud speaker that she does not have CL "here come and feel of them you can tell and feel it's saliva in there" :) but no way....it's bad enough with folks here, having to explain but to also say "sure you can take photos of the goats, just not of Birdy ;)" She is a great learning tool for new folks. She has never passed these on to her family nor does any of her other 3 half sisters have these. The surgery is expensive and can leave her with portions outside her skin that can dehydrate her in our heat. She is to valuable to me to have the sugery and take a chance with anesthesia or the surgery making her worse. Once she kids they are still noticeable but not huge. Hers didn't get bad until right after she turned 5...she always had bigger salivary glands (tubes) runing over her jaw line, they look and feel like large viens, all goats have them hers is just more pronounced.

We tried everything, benedryl for months on end, other antihistimes to try to thin the secretions and hopefully shrink them. We aspirated fluid, no infection, it is spit. I used to massage the spit through twice a day during milking, it never bothered her.

Now they can clog and fill up the neck with fluid....they can also do this in their foreudder, saw a doe with this.

Vicki

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

She is bred (hopefully). She just came back from the buck pen two days ago. I'll have to keep an eye on this over the years. See if she does it every time she's bred. Make it easy to tell. :) Thank you!