Sad news at the vet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Our 9 yr old doe Tea Rose just hasn't been "right" for a few weeks. It started with her not really wanting to eat, having a hard time bringing up her cud, odd bloating. We were chalking it up to age, but still something bothered me. Bothered me enough that I brought her to the vet today where a thorough exam and XRays were done. The vet suspected some kind of growth or tumor in her chest based on what he saw and heard. When the XRays came back what was there shocked everyone.

Apparently some time ago (likely the several weeks ago when she started turning up her nose at her grain) her diaphragm ruptured. (I guess when everyone started going into heat and fighting) They did the XRAYS 4 times before they realized that it wasnt that they couldnt see the diaphragm because they were getting a bad picture angle but that basically she HAS no diaphragm LEFT. Much of what is supposed to be in the abdomen is in her chest. Her lung capacity is at 1/3 of what it was due to all the free fluid in her chest cavity, there are granulomas of infection all throughout her chest. Even if we could do surgery to fix the 'hernia' there really isnt an antibiotic out there that would handle the pockets of infection seen and if there wasn't that then there is putting a doe with such diminished lung capacity under and even if that wasn't a problem then there is the fact that she is nine years old.

It is unfathomable that she is even on her feet. There is no prognosis other than continued and rapid decline.

We brought her home rather than have the vet put her down then because I knew that I had children who would be devastated due to not having warning. Dh is at a movie with a friend. When he gets home we will decide if we go back to the vet or just take care of it here.

Tea was a birthday gift to me in 2005. She is a finished champion with her milk star, our herd queen and just a wonderfully patient and gentle animal.

This means that since the first of the year we will have lost our 4 best lamanchas.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

So very sorry for you and the children... Just remember the joy she has given you... When I had to put one of mine down, that is what I did.
    Barbara

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Oh, I am SO sorry. <hugs> :sniffle

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:down :down :down

Whim

5. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Im so sorry. (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

6. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Hugs to all of you - very sad, but at least you know now what is wrong and there really isn't anything to be done, but to give her some peace.

More hugs,
    Anne

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

That is just the worst news! I am so sorry this has happened. Vicki

8. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am so sorry for your family's loss. You will all be in my prayers.

9. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I am so sorry to hear that :( I couldn't imagine. ((hugs)) to you and your family.

Amber

10. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

So sorry about your sad news. I can't imagine how hard this must be.

Tamera

11. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I'm so sorry about what has happened. I will keep you in my prayers.

12. I am so sorry for you and your family. We also lost a beloved doe this spring and can understand your sorrow. Her memory will keep in your hearts. Sending our heartfelt sadness and support. Tammy

13. Rose

Rose New Member

I am sorry. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Rose

14. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you in this time of grief.

Atumn

15. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

I'm sorry. Carolyn

16. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I'm sorry about this. That is so sad.

17. smithsfarm

smithsfarm Guest

:( I am so sorry for you and your family. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers

18. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We feel for you. We love our goats too. You will be in our thoughts and prayers, may God give you peace during this difficult time.

Tara