Sad kid case, need help for a friend

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I have a friend who is entirely too soft hearted. She has been known to take dying animals in, if only to give them a few more days of comfort and painless deaths. I cannot fault her heart, and I am sure if I had unlimited resources (she does not), and was not trying to get my herd to an excellent start, i may do it as well.

She came to me today with a TINY goat kid. Basic history is that the kid came from a animal broker. The guy goes to auctions, gets cheap animals, does petting farms and PA Dutch stuff all summer, and then drops them back off at auction. If they need vet care, they get a nice shiny slug as a remedy. if they are sick, they stay sick untill they die. Whatever, I don't know him personally, but this is what she claims. So here is this kid, her dam died the week before (and is now in the ditch over the ravine). He told her that the kid was 6-8 weeks of age. He told her it was a pygmy. No shots. Told her the kid was eating sweet feed and hay. Kid is picked up last night after he told her the dam died, and the kid is looking poorly. She sees pathetic kid and takes her home in her lap as she drives. Kid has massive diarrhea, also has fly strike (thats what us rabbit people call it when the fly eggs hatch on a live animal) with assorted sized maggots. Kid has not eaten. Nosed hay and feed, but nothing more. She claimed the kid weighed about 4lbs.

I told her to bring it over and I would take a look. kid is amazingly thin - I can feel all of the neck bones, and body condition score is 1 but closer to 0. Flaps on the hooves are worn off, so it is older than it looked. Weight IS literally 4lbs. Definite Nigerian Dwarf kid. Cold overall (97.7*), still has liquid poo. No smell to the mush, medium green in color, VERY liquidy. Vet gave her Albon at 3AM, Vet did int see kid, but left the drugs for her. I don't think coccidia, but it never hurts. Kid is moaning almost constantly. I think the kid is closer to 2 weeks of age, as it's horn buds were less than 1/4" out of its head. Remember, dam died last week, and it was left with the other older kids. I told her to get it on a bottle, told her to give whole cow milk, also to mix electrolytes up for the kid. I dewormed it with Ivomec for it had lice so bad I still have the heebie jeebies! I am thinking that the dam died and the kid has been slowly starving for the past week. She said she saw it about a week ago and it looked fine. Dam also died of scours. Kid was reluctant to take the bottle sucking was weak and a slight fight, but did get about 3 teaspoons into her. Told her to offer it to her every half hour, as 6 teaspoons an hour is better than nothing. I also asked her to see if she could steal some cud from an older goat and get it into the kid. I gave the kid some Nutri Drench, and was going to do BoSe, and a CD&T, but she thought it was too much. I went with her wishes, as I am not a vet, and don't want to be held responsible for the death of this kid. I am just trying to help. Told her to keep the kid inside and warm, and work her constantly.

I also suggested taking the kid to the vet - either to try and save her or to put her down if she really seemed to go south. Also thought some IV fluids were in order, and perhaps a tube meal (I have no experience with tube feeding, so I was reluctant to do it for her).

Anything that I may have forgotten? I will help her all that I can, but I really think this little doeling is a hopeless case. I told her that too, but then again, she always did think I was a little too harsh...

Kelly

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We usually do not help via a third person. If your friend needs help and advice then she needs to register to become a member of the forum. It is far too difficult for us to provide assistance when we don't have the entire story.

Sara

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sounds like you have done just abt everything. I am with you on this she needs lactated ringers and probably banamine then tubed. or get milk into her.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kelly did this baby make it?

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Poor little thing. If it makes it, I am sure it will be well loved.

6. Even if it isn't coccidia, it sounds like whatever has caused those scours has maybe severely damaged the kid's digestive system. It was bad enough in the mother that she died. It is sad but I fear that the kid may not recover. I am not a vet, so I think a vet needs to be consulted again and a decision made about whether it would be kinder for this poor little thing to be put down. It has to be suffering, especially if it is moaning. It makes me so angry when people treat animals like this :mad RE: the petting zoo man, not your kind-hearted friend. She is only trying to give the baby a chance. :(

7. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I was at her place today, but she wasn't home (I was looking at her truck for sale). I did not see the little kid, but she very well may be at the clinic with her. I told her to keep that kid with her if she had to go anywhere, bring her in the laundry basket that she brought her to my house in, and keep feeding. She has not called me to tell me the kid has died, so I am thinking that it is still alive, and considering that was two days ago now, if it is still alive, I think there is a fighting chance for her :)

Those auction-petting zoo-animal brokers really need to get a clue. I told her to tell the man that the kid died actually. I know how this guy works. If she tells him that the kid lived, he will either want it back when it is fat and sassy so he can sell it for a good price at auction, or he will tell her that she owes him $100. He has done this before, and she has paid every time. He knows she is a good 'sucker', and she is always reliable to produce the cash to keep the animal away from this swindler. She is VERY good with animals, and is meticulous about their well being, and has saved quite a few that I really thought were goners.

Update: I just got off the phone with her and the little kid did in fact die. She did give her the banamine, and the vet was on call and was unable to do the lactated. She kept trying to feed her the bottle, but she was so weak, and fighting the bottle was exhausting on her. She did start to perk up later yesterday afternoon, and she decided to try pan feeding her. IT WORKED! kid did take a few ounces at a time sucking it up out of the dish. However, today she laid down and was stargazing. She picked her up and her head was just lolling around. She called her vet, the emergency vet, as well as a local cat and dog vet and no one would euthanize the poor kid. The dog vet said he wasn't licensed for livestock, and turned her away with a comatose and moaning baby goat in her arms. As she was taking the 3 hour trip to the only other vet that does goats in the area, the kid passed in the laundry basket in the passenger seat of her car. This is where she was earlier in the day when I was there to see the truck.

I and her, want to thank everyones support, suggestions, and kind words. She tried everything she could, but in the end, the kid did NOT die in a dry lot, did not die under the feet of other animals, and did not die alone. She currently is figuring out what to do about the animal broker. He needs reporting, and I told her to do it and make sure she follows through. He sells the good hay and keeps the crap for his animals. I told her there is plenty of good hay in this area - losing him wont cost her anything but instead will offer her peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone,

Kelly :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.