ricotta failure

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Tim Pruitt, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I made Mozarella yesterday and with the whey - ricotta. Turned out beautiful! Excellent stuff.

Today's Mozarella turned out fine but the ricotta didn't. Had 2 gallons of whey and heated it to about 190 and dumped 3/4 cup of white vinegar. No ricotta. :nooo It did not separate...

I did something different yesterday than today, I added a 1/2 gallon of older milk to my whey at about 190 and then added the vinegar. I got a good portion of ricotta - excellent ricotta.

What could I be doing wrong?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

190 is on the fringe for ricotta. I heat whey to 195F or as needed to form curd. I don't use vinegar.

Christy

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Then what do you use instead of vinegar?

Can I heat it again to a hotter temp or do I just need to discard and start over?

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

With Mozz whey the acidity is perfect for ricotta with out adding anything but milk. You can try to heat it again. I have never done it so I am not sure if it will work but it is worth a try.

Christy

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Don't try it. I did and it wouldn't make cheese for me. I reheated it to the proper temp and added some more milk -It was a total failure and I threw it all away.

6. Tallabred

Tallabred New Member

I followed Ricki's ricotta directions. Fresh whey - heat to 200 degrees. I keep having temp problems so I turned the heat off when my whey just started to roll. It turned out to be the best ricotta I have ever had.

Tried the vinegar method before and it just did not work.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH that is good to hear.