Return to Heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Can a bred doe come into heat 18 days after you thought she was bred? I hand bred her to a buck, I saw him do the business at lest 4 times. She is cryin up a storm out there, dd said slight muccous? I thought that was how you know they are bred by a not return of a heat cycle?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yes, return to heat would be 18-21 days after her last cycle. Sounds like she didn't take to that breeding.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat Just because you bred them to a buck doesn't mean it takes everytime. Just asks lots of us that AI.
    Kaye

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Why do people pregnancy test? Dont' you just wait until they do or don't come into heat the next month and then you know? Or can they tell a due date due to the levels in the blood? Scenario, Oct. 1 crying at the fence wagging tail, hummmm wonder what her problem is? Dugh....next day I let the goats out and she ran to him and started climbing the fence so I put her in, bangidy bang. Wow that was easy...o.k. that's what she does. He is a young, March nubian kid about 80 lbs. seems to do the job, never saw the "pink" that Vicki talks about. Lots of white when he is done, so I thought that was that. Maybe it was too late? She was riding him around a bit too on Oct. 2? Wierd...

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Because I don't want to take reservations on kids from an unbred doe. They miss a heat cycle, I test them and positive, I forget about them and move on the next group. I've also seen animals that have "silent heats" and it's hard as the dickens to tell if they're in.
    No. They ask you for a bred date...but,being able to tell you when-NO.
    This is why I tell people to watch their does...she will tell you when she's in heat even away from a buck. Tail flagging everytime another goat touches her, vocal, swollen vulva. You have to learn your does to be succesfull at AI. Course, a buck helps.
    She was still in standing heat.
    Kaye

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Re: Silent heats.
    I boarded four does for 45 days this breeding season for an aquaintence. Even being penned next to the bucks, in with three other does, me staring at her rear twice a day I missed the silent heat the youngest doe had the 1st time round. I finally got so desperate after the other three were bred that I started turning the buck in with them twice a day(I smelled like him all the time for 15 days). *Finally* got her bred.....still with *no* signs of heat from her except that the buck was more interested in her that day.
    I *HATE* silent heats. :sigh

7. haeema

haeema New Member

I have had to put my does in a small lane (loading chute) that is about 3' wide and 10' long because they love to keep "running" my buck to death. Their tail is just flagging away, they have swolen vulva's, and they are loving my buck to "death". When I do this, he can do what needs to be done and he moves on.

8. MeadowValleyFarm

MeadowValleyFarm New Member

Since I don't own a buck, I was given a 'buck rag', which we will be showing the girls in a few days to see if they are bred. I hope they are bred, our family doesn't have very good luck registered animals. So please pray for me. Ha Ha Ha

9. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

This doe referred to in this post was given an IM lute and never aborted nor came into heat. Her tail is so far between her legs, she looked like a buck parts for God sakes! I have been watching her like a hawk. Nothing...I threw her in with him everyday to see and no intrest at all ran around with her tail between her legs. No swollen nothing, no flagging, no crying, nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought a few times do I force her. I mean literally she rears up and freaks out totally. I wonder if she was AI and never had a real buck before?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I can't tell when my Nubians are cycling they don't show any signs that I know of. It is a pain.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If this doe belong to me...I'd pull blood on her and send to Bio-tracking. If she comes back bred. Leave her alone- open -lute her again and do a uterine flush, then breed her in late Nov./Dec. If she doesn't come back into heat with the Lute- you've either got a barren doe or a silent heat doe.

Trust me...just because a doe is AI'ed before, if she's in heat...she'll TAKE a buck! ;) Most prefer a buck over AI. :lol
    Kaye

12. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I thought if you lute them they will either abort or come into heat? I luted her about a week ago...I could do it again I guess. I will also search uterine flushes. I know she can be bred as I bought her in milk with her little guy at her side. It is probably a silent heat. In which case, do you keep her with the buck for a whole month or what?

13. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Well, I tell ya, after reading all kinds of posts about uterine flushing, I CAN'T DO IT...There is no-one around here that takes care of their goats like everyone does here on this forumn whom I could learn from or who would come and do it. Geez, well I just hope that she is a silent heat type, back to the question, do I just throw her in with the buck for the next 6 months? Periodically do a blood test?

14. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

My vet taught me how to do a uterine flush over the phone. Actually, what I did was probably more like a vaginal flush, but it worked.
    Anita

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sorry, but a vaginal flush will NOT work to treat a uterine infection. You MUST get into the cervix for it to work.

Uterine flushes are not difficult to do.

Sara

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you just gave her the lute a week ago, and she didn't abort it also doesn't gurantee she comes into a heat either, it works on some and doesn't on others and at not time does it gurantee ovulation. Without eggs there is no pregancy. So you have 14 more days of taking her to the buck everyday for a normal cycle. Have fun! Vicki

17. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Yep, having fun is what it is...sometimes these lovesick does and crazy bucks are just something else. And then you have the silent heat does...fun stuff
    Kristin

18. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Everytime I put her in with him she cries her lungs out smashes against the fence puts her tail between her legs. I will take Vicki's advice and put her in with him...about how long do you think I should leave her in there. Also, do bucks mate even when a doe is not in heat?

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I meant that since you are taking her to the buck everyday, to keep doing it. When you notice her wanting to stay leave her. A bigger powerful buck can breed a doe who is not in heat, but a young buck can't get his penis passed that clamped down tail. She will not, not come into heat during the 21 days cycle unless there is something wrong with her.

Also don't baby her. She's a goat, her wanting to be with you can't preclude her staying in with the buck to be bred. I have a few like that, they circle my legs as if to say help me mom....mom leaves your big butt in to get bred then you can come back home. Vicki