retained placenta

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Doe is 36 hours post delivery. oxitocin was given yesterday pm and this am still no help. Uterine antibiotics given . No pain or fever . How often can and should I be giving her oxitocin and at what dosage . This girl is about 250lbs. The cervix is still open

Thanks , Patty

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Have you gone in to check for another kid? We have had a doe go 48 hours before - she just wasn't ready to let go!

Watch her closely (I know you are) - temp 3 X /day and take 2 other does temp as well, so you can catch anything quickly. I would also be giving some Bo-Se and any fresh raspberry leaves you may have (good for uterine tone).

Sorry, I'm not sure how often you can give oxytocin. It's 1-2ccs so with such a big girl and no response, I would go with 2ccs. Are you sure she didn't eat it?

Camille

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You would never give 1 to 2 cc, 1/4th to 1/2cc is all I give but for a true retained placenta, one totally in the uterus, give it every 2 hours or so.

After 36 hours and the cervic is still open, have you stuck your hand up inside and seen what is going on? I would immediatly put her on antibiotics also, this is way over the normal period for a cervic to be open. Oxytocin does not keep a cervic open it causes contractions only. Very very worrisome.

Do you have calcium....CMPK to give her this can also help. Is she milking? What is her temp? Vicki

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have gone in and its retained . I was in up to my shoulder ...no joking and felt no more kids. Checked her yesterday and today. So yes the cervix is open . I gave her lute this a.m. to make sure it stayed that way.

Her temp is normal . Eating fine milking OK for a FF no signs of distress other than a hanging glob. No smell .

I gave her 6 cc of bo-se and 20cc of cmpk also.

Patty

Thanks

5. NubianSoaps.com

If it's hanging than the next time for oxytocin, give it about 20 mintues, milk her out with lots of masage, and then gently tug on the placenta. No jerking, just a slow pulling could tak 30 mintues, you want to pop the suction cups off the uterine wall. I would have a uterine wash ready with tetracycline.

You felt into both horns, usually not the horn the placenta is attached into. Vicki

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I went both ways as far as my arm could reach ...she is a BIG girl. I also felt from the outside and feel no kids. She had triplets so I doubt there is another . A big part of the problems I have had with her is she is way over condtioned and had a lack of exercise from her former home.

When I went in again I tried to gently see if it was still attached and it was. I tried pulling a bit from farther inside but could not get my hand out in that shape. She has expelled a bit more ....I will wait until the next shot to start the gentle tug {yuck}. I will get another flush ready.

How many cc's of tetracycline ? Water ?

Thanks , Patty

7. NubianSoaps.com

There isn't a mixture. 10cc of tetracycline injected into the rest of the quart of a sterile water bottle. That is as close to a mixture I could see when my vet flushed for me this year. "Oh about this much" :) Vicki

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks . I used more antibiotics yesterday :sigh Well I guess she was covered for today anyways .

Hope this goes fast I am very tired .....

Thanks < patty

9. NubianSoaps.com

Well you really are down to nothing is left to try. You have to let her close, and then deal with this with pennicillin. Do everything you can to get this placenta out....but you can also just cut it off short and leave it. Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Try tieing it in a big knot. I've done this to keep it from banging the hocks or her accidently stepping on it.
    When Vicki says gently tug...she's absolutely right. Give the oxytocin and as soon as you see her teats fill..."feather" the placenta. Think riding a green horse with a snaffle bit...lift up and gently put pressure on it up and down at the vulva. If you feel the cords inside starting to break...your putting too much pressure.
    Keep up with the calcium (CMPK) and I have given the oxytocin every two hrs. to manipulate the placenta. 1/4-1/2 is all that is needed to stimulate the uterus.
    The rest...do exactly as Vicki said.
    Kaye

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Good golly Patty, I hope you have luck getting it out.
    Sherrie

12. SamSpade

SamSpade New Member

I had a doe retain her placenta this spring. The cord sticking out was brown an oozy looking after a day and had already degraded too much to pull on. I called in the vet and she gave the doe calcium and oxytocin. Since we never got the placenta out (cervix was already closed) the vet did a tetracyclin flush and penacillin for four days. The doe had an ugly brown discharge for about two weeks, but she never showed signs of discomfort. No fever, mastitis or other complaint. She came through fine, and milks strong now (2.5 months later). So I guess it is survivable.

13. NubianSoaps.com

Sam keep us up to date on this doe as she kids out next year. I would have done the pennicillin for alot longer than 4 days, you don't want any scar tissue forming, or kids won't implant. Also you can have a perfectly normal pregnancy and when the cervic open you have a uterus full of infective slurry, killing the doe as it goes systemic. Vicki

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Did calcuim did cmpk and still nothing . Hung water filled 16 oz soda bottle {2} tied for tention to the cord still nothing . So I cut it off as close as possible. And now I pray .

No fever acting fine. I am giving 12cc of pen 2x a day ...shoule this be ok ?

Thanks

15. NubianSoaps.com

I would give her some banamine also if you have it to stop any inflammation and to keep scarring to a minimum. This is one of the things that penn works really well on. Keep your epi handy and give the shots carefully each time, with keeping the blood level high like this you can have a reaction. I also don't give 12cc in one site. Vicki

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK will do.

Thanks for all the help.

5 or 7 days ?

Patty

17. NubianSoaps.com

More like 10, you can only do banamine for 6. Vicki

18. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Gotcha ...