Results are in....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I took a fecal sample in today for my 18 mos. skinny goat and she was positive for Coddidia. The vet gave me 8 oz. of corid saying to put a tbsp. in 3 gallons of water for 1 week. If her poop is pelletized in that time, to do 1/2 tbsp. for 2 more weeks in their water. I figure I would just treat the other for it also. Not a single worm and he did 2 slides. Does the dosage and application of the corrid sound like it is on target, if not, tell me how to get my girls healthy!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DO not use his doses for the corid get in 101 and use Kaye and Vicki's dose for corid per weight of goat for 5 days

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Linda,

You really need to start reading this forum. If you had you would know that the dose your vet gave you for Corid is incorrect. You never dilute Corid. It is dosed individually.

Also, you may want to consider using Albon rather than Corid in an outbreak. If you decide to go with Corid you are probaby going to need more than the amount he gave you.

Correct doses are in Goat Keeping 101.

Sara

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Ouch, that hurt...I have been reading the the forrum, I've spent lots of time, 13 hours so far I guess. I'm just following Vicki's adivce, get a fecal, give us the results, do as we say...so I just realized this is what she had...coccidia, and I will go ahead and read the 101. Thx.

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I just read the oral preparations section on corid and still have no idea what to do. It says adminstering it by water?

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Coccidia and the prevention and treatment of is something that we go over and over again. In fact just recently, Vicki also told you to read the forum to get the correct doses; I just did the same.

You need to go into your vet office prepared and with the correct information. Otherwise, you aren't doing yourself or your herd any favors.

Sara

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

From Goat Keeping 101

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well shouldn't any goat be positive for coccidia? If he didn't do a count on them, How does she know that's even the problem?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

That is the problem here, I always see cocci on fecal, unless a kid has just finished their cocci..I don't even bother to count unless it is so overwhelming then I treat don't count.

Since you have the Corid, use it on her, but do use the dosage above. Could you please tell me where you read to put it in water on this site? I can then go back and fix it. I don't read every word that is put up in goatkeeping 101 so when someone finds something amiss we need to fix it. Vicki

10. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

When I did a search for corid administration this is what I got. I did not see what you have, maybe I don't know how to use the search engine right or something. Thank you for the help....I will administer it per your recommendation blissberry./

AMPROLIUM "Corid®"

DOSAGE on packet or bottle - can be administered in the drinking water or as a drench.
    To treat clinical cases dose 11.3 - 23 mg/lb daily in feed or water for 5 days.
    To prevent coccidiosis 2.3mg per pound (5 mg/kg) body weight daily for 21 days.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK Linda
    will go find this and get it fixed this may have been in the saanendoah info I am not sure.
    To do any searching here go to the top of the page and on the left side is the word search. Click on this and then type in say : corid scroll down and un ck the little box at the bottom then click on just above that box that says (Choose a board to search in, or search all) check the box beside Goat 101 and walla what Sara posted will come up and even has it figured out for you how much per how many pounds the goat weighs thanks to Lynn N tx

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I really don't want to mess with saanendoah stuff...or should I say edit it. Perhaps I will go paraphrase some of it. Vicki

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes that is a quote from the saanendoah info but if you really read it, it doesn't way TO MIX with water it says "can be administered in the drinking water or as a drench" and we all know now that in drinking water doesn't work.

14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Linda, what I do with my vet is tell him that I am worming about 5 or 6 more goats then I really am. That way he gives me plenty of drug and I don't have to go back. He really does not know how many goats that I have so never questions me. So if you have to go back just tell him that you have another goat with the same symptoms.
    Theresa

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can buy corid at the feed stores too and TSC I think

16. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

That search if FABULOUS so much information....I was just using the blank area at the top right and only getting a little information on a subject...YEAH....on to search information for abcesses. The same little darling has an abcess on her shoulder...I'm past gonna start crying if one more thing happens....horse has broken out in what appears to be hives! Aaahhh...anyways, thank you all again.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member