Restraint Method: Redoing Ear Tattoos on Adults?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tricia, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Any tips welcomed please!

I've a couple two-year olds to do before LA and the Aphis vet's annual visit. My last tattooing of a yearling was hard in terms of head control.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If I have to re-tattoo an adult animal I put them in a milkstand and have another person (if available) help hold the head. I have mostly Nubians so a little grain in the feed pan also helps distract them. :)

Bucks that don't fit in the milkstand are cross-tied and done the same way.

It is much easier than it sounds. :)

Sara

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yep milk stand with a helper.. Have fun !

Patty

4. coso

coso Guest

I bet one of those grooming stands that holds the head in place would work great for that.
    http://mortonblades.com/images/supplies024.jpg

At least you could do it by yourself if you needed too. I just always have my wife or dad help.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I have been begging for one of those grooming head things....just seems like other things are more important. But, around here if I have to do something to the head and by myself...I put a large link chain under the throat latch and put a loop up over the head latch. This holds the head up and restrains the goat from going up and down the slot. Since I don't have "long-ears", I'll use my body to push the head to one side or the other.
    Kaye

6. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Always looking for good restraint techniques. Guess I need to get a stand with a stanchion -- Coso, thank you for the photo of the head holder. The deed is done.

My milkstand just has a crosspiece for holding a tether. Since I don't use the milkstand and milkroom for anything but milking, I seldom even use the tether except for FF, does in estrus, etc. Another wall in the barn is where hooves and only hooves are done. And then there's the wailing wall for injections, drenching, and the like.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

So our you green ? Any new tatoos you want to share with us ?

Patty

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I had to do my Biggest goat, who I never tatooed for her first appraisal in 2006, she Hated me for a few days. big 250 lb saanen